News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My SUD

Started by Terry Toenges, January 19, 2023, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Here's one of my projects that I did a few months ago. Sport Utility Diesel. :)
Bachmann F7A body on a Walthers F40PH frame.
Feel like a Mogul.

the Bach-man

Hey, Terry!
Welcome back!
The SUD is brilliant!
the Bach-man

Terry Toenges

Body is Bachmann F7A. I had to cut the holes in front on each side so the headlights would fit. I drilled holes in back for the taillights and the deck light.
I painted it with Rustoleum satin claret wine then sprayed Rustoleum satin clear over that.
(All of the paint I used on various things was Rustoleum.)
Chassis and motor are from Walthers DCC F40PH. I ground off some metal on the back part to make room for the deck. I ground off some metal from the front of the chassis so the front of the F7 would fit over it.
Front bumper is a piece of Bachmann trestle cut down and rounded off and painted with bright coat chrome.
Spare tire is from a wheel set that I cut off and painted satin black.
Headlights are four Modelsmiths' O scale red traffic lights. I drilled out the lights and glued two together for each side and painted with bright coat chrome. Then I put 1.8mm LED's in each hole.
The hood ornament is piece of plastic sprue and piece of styrene cut into a triangle, glued to the sprue and painted with bright coat chrome.
Inside the cab, I screwed a piece of basswood to the frame for a "floor" for the people and painted it with dark gray.
The three generic people are sitting in seats that I cut from an old passenger car interior.
The steering wheel in the cab is a brake wheel from an old IHC caboose.
For the dashboard, I cut a piece of balsa wood and painted it light gray then put little round dots on it with a pen.
The back wall of the cab is a piece of balsa wood painted with dark gray.
The door frame inside the cab is a piece of Central Valley ladder that I cut off and cut out the rungs on the inside. Then I glued a piece of dark gray painted balsa inside of it for the door.
I cut a piece of clear acetate for the windshield.
The dome light is the headlight out of an old F7A.
Decks are walkway pieces from Model Power coal mine kit painted with satin espresso.
Deck railings and ladders are from Central Valley ladders that I cut down. Railings are satin espresso and ladders are bright coat chrome.
Keg is piece of sprue, cut off straight pin and a piece of black thread. It's painted with  bright coat aluminum.
Tail lights are red 3mm LED's in housings with housings painted  bright coat chrome.
Back-up  lights are white 1.8mm LED's glued to the bottom of the frame.
Deck light is amber 1.8mm LED.
Deck light cover is piece of a barrel from Model Power coal mine kit and painted bright coat chrome.
The people are: Preiser Girls, Noch Sun Bathers, Woodland Scenics Ordinary People.
Trailer hitch on loco is knuckle coupler turned upside down with "brake hose" cut shorter and straightened.
Wiking Row Boat on Trailer.
Boat is painted light tan.
Seats are painted light gray.
Oars are painted sun yellow.
Boat mast is piece of sprue painted with satin espresso.
Sail is a piece of tissue sprayed with satin clear.
Trailer lights are red 1.8 LED's.
I added a piece of u-shaped styrene to the back of the trailer and drilled holes in it for the lights.
Trailer wheels are from a four wheel truck that I cut in half.
Ball on front of trailer is a piece of split shot for weight.
Tongue on front of trailer is from a horn hook coupler that I cut down and glued to the front.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

You cannot view this attachment.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

The keg - A piece of sprue for the keg, a straight pin for pumper, a piece of insulation from electric wire for the pump, a piece of thread for the hose, and small piece of plastic for the nozzle.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

This is what I started with - An old Bachmann F7A, a Walthers DCC F40PH, and a wild idea.
I was going to make it like the Dukes of Hazard Charger. Once I painted it orange, I didn't care for it so I repainted it red.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

The boat is a Wiking row boat and trailer.
I used a piece of sprue for the mast. I cut a piece of tissue paper for the sail and sprayed it with clear matte.
For the wheels, I took a four wheel truck and cut part of it off. I attached a piece of "U" shaped plastic to the back of the trailer and drilled holes in it for LED lights. The hitch is a piece of horn hook coupler.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

I really got a kick out of this model. That is some creative modelling there. It reminds me of a good dfriend who made a "rednecK" caboose by mounting a mobile home trailer to the deck of a flatcar. He finished it off by adding a couple of bushes on the rear deck. We still laugh about that caboose. The boat trailer is a nice touch, btw.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

When I started, I was just going to mount the body on the chassis and have some people stand on the part that stuck out the back. As I started getting into it, an idea came up and then another and then another and so on. It was like well, I've got this old mine kit maybe I can make a deck. Then it's, "Hmm I could also do a sun deck on top." Then, how about a keg on back... The good old boys sometimes have spare tires on the front and a heavy duty bumper... Everytime I'd do one thing, another idea would pop up.  :)
Feel like a Mogul.