News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newby - New train won't run

Started by Bill in TX, January 27, 2023, 04:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill in TX

Just received my first train since a little kid:  The McKinley Explorer in N scale train set.  34" x 24"oval with E-Z track.  Carefully put the track together, and yes, some of them were a bit stubborn to get seated properly, but got it done.  Pushed loco and cars around to test connections.  All good.  The connection to the track plug-in from the power pack was also tight and stubborn, but finally seated it, turned on the power pack.  Red light shows power, but train won't run. Not a sound or inkling of power in the track.  Not sure how to confirm power in track, or if loco is the prob.
I'm totally new to model trains, this is my first step into the unknown.  Help, anyone?

Piyer

With the electricity turned OFF (and unplugged from the wall), you can use a 9-volt battery to the rails to attempt to power the train. You can also touch the battery to the loco itself, though this is easier with HO than N or O. 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Bill in TX

Piyer:  Thank you for that tip.  Touching the 9-volt battery to the track indeed got the locomotive running.  Switching the posts to opposite tracks ran the locomotive in the opposite direction.  My multi-meter reads about 9 volts in the tracks.  It also reads 9 volts in the little connecting metal pieces inside the female receptor (in the terminal rerailer) for the connector wire to the power pack. So, the locomotive works just fine!

This leads me to conclude there is something not right between the power pack (Bachmann item # 44211) and the female receptor in the track.  It is a very tight and stubborn fit, but I believe the connection is solid, but still no power in track.  I would like to cut the wire a couple of inches back from the connector and hold bare wire to the connecting metal pieces in the track.  This would test whether the male connector is making contact.  But I'm afraid this will jeopardize any warranty that may exist.

I will call the Bachmann service number on Monday, but in the meantime, any other ideas?

Update:  I got two wires and held one end of each to the separate posts of the D battery.  Then I carefully put the other ends in contact with the metal pieces in the terminal rerailer.  The train ran and completed several complete circuits of my small oval towing the three passenger cars without a hitch.  This proved to me that the track and locomotive are both in good condition.  There is some problem in the wire from the power pack to the track, and I suspect it is in the black plastic insert used to connect the wire to the track.