News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-6-0, how many versions made?

Started by DennisBT, January 31, 2023, 03:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisBT

I have a Spectrum G 2-6-0, Item No. 81492, painted, unlettered, black.  Got it from one of our club member's estate.  Won't run; motor spins.  I have replacement axles, (one with brass gear), but before I get into it, I'm curious if it is an early/original version, or if Bachmann upgraded these with model changes over the year.  Any way to tell?  I did find the nice Loco Bill tutorial for this repair.  Thank you!!  Associated photos for the article seem to be now unavailable - wish I had them.  I also got no manual with this engine - any available on line?  Bachmann website does not seem to offer anything.  Thanks, Dennis 

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dennis,

Your loco first came out in 2001, it was in the catalog until 2005. It is definitely the original version.  In 2016 Bachmann did run and updated version of these beautiful locos. If you go to the main Bachmann web page you can download some of the older catalogs and check out the details. 

No promises, but I will try to see if I can find those photos and reload them.  No guarantees tho and it might take awhile.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

wraujr

Do you have the original box?
If so, look on the inside of the end flaps for a date code.
The six-digit format is YYMMDD and may start with a 'K'
Normally printed, but may be embossed in the cardboard.

DennisBT

Thank you both.  Very helpful.  First, wraujr....Yes,I do have the original red box.  I just looked inside the flap on the end that has the model information.  I see,   "CO1107"    I'm trying to fit that with the manufacturing date code you described.  Can't quite get it to fit.
Ideas? 
Actually, I really like things dated, - for a lot of reasons.  This tip you just told about is a complete and very welcome surprise.  I had no idea these could be dated.
However,  I'm still confused with the code I see stamped inside the flap.
???????????????????????

DennisBT

Next,  -  Loco Bill:  Thank you for the reply.  Yes, I will try to download catalogs from the Bachmann website.  I won't open up the locomotive until I've done all the homework I can possibly do...first.  I'm trying to be really careful.  The previous owner did leave me a couple mysteries however.  One, the smoke and NMRA switches inside the smokebox cover are not there.  Two, inside the tender there is a round speaker attached with clear goo, probably silicone.  Neat enough.  The speaker is owner wired out the back to a 2-prong male plug obviously meant to attached to a trailing car.  Speaker wires do NOT go toward the locomotive at all.  All other wiring inside the tender is for bringing track power from trucks to the two factory appearing plugs under the front lip of the tender frame where the lokie pigtails plug in.  I'll need to convert this locomotive to battery and probably sound, as I have no layout but lots of friends who do.  And they are all battery.  Good time is when I'm into the motor/gear problem.  Likely use ZIMO.  I will be leaning a lot on your tutorial, loco bill.  Thank you again.  I found I had purchased parts a few years ago and I see two axles with brass gears, one I marked 25-tooth.  I also bought and have NWSL individual gears.  Again, thank you.

DennisBT

Dug a little more on this dating concept that intrigues me so much.  I looked at two Spectrum OS frame 2-8-0 boxes.  NO codes at all inside the flap.  I looked at my 2-4-2, ("Lynn" type), and it had K110426.  Now that is apparently, 2011 - 4th month - 26th day.  i.e. April 26, 2011.
Next, my Heisler was code:  031028.  So it would be October 28, 2003.
Now........back to my 2-6-0:  I'm thinking the C01107 I reported earlier must be a sloppy stamp and is really 001107.  That would put it at November 7, 2000.  And that fits with Loco Bill saying these Moguls appeared in 2001, so mine having been made in November of 2000, is reasonable so they were ready to ship as a 2001 model.
Why the Consolidations have no codes stamped in the box is a mystery.
Otherwise, this whole dating thing is shaping up. 

wraujr

Yes, I have also seen the first digit as C and I am assuming they had an aversion to starting with 00.

Have not seen any date codes from the 90's

Got out my 90018 set purchased around 94, no date code on box, but appears to have possibly been stamped on Styrofoam but has faded from handling.

A year ago went to local hobby shop and bought brand new EBT 3 Bay Hopper w/Coal Load.  Noticed on the underside of car the date code (K150508) had been stamped into the plastic.  So at some point they have started date coding the rolling stock.

So, check the Styrofoam and the body (although it could have been stamped internally)

Fred2179

QuoteI'm curious if it is an early/original version, or if Bachmann upgraded these with model changes over the year.
They were significantly upgraded in the 2017 model year. If you go to the Parts section of this website, you'll find they list the newer version separately from the old one. The new one is supposed to be DCC compatible, and you'll find the wiring diagram on the same Parts site.
Quotethe smoke and NMRA switches inside the smokebox cover are not there.
I can't tell you why, but I can tell you the smokebox front just pulls off (try not to damage the hinges on the smokebox door.) You may find the switches lying inside. Behind the smoke unit is the main PCB which is a pain to get at.

There are quite a few versions around, and folk have repainted them.

I've rebuilt 4 or 5 of these and fixed axles on a few more, so keep posting if you have more questions.

DennisBT

Thanks again, Fred.  The smokebox door was not hard to open although the little hinges are delicate as you noted.  I hadn't thought of trying to pull the whole smoke box front off.  I'll check the diagram and see if it is shown as separate first.  I see the empty switch openings inside the smokebox on what I seem to recall is called the petticoat sheet.  (If I remember my firing days right......) 
I really like the old girl;  being almost flat black, I suspect it was over sprayed that flat by previous owner. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Hey Dennis,

From what you say about what you found in the tender and smokebox, I think at some point the locomotive may have been significantly rewired. I wish I could help but I don't know where to start. Did you check the behind the door like Fred suggested????

It is possible that if it is over painted it is not even the correct loco in the box. Since the loco was originally painted and unlettered it would be kind of a satin color with a silver smokebox.

DennisBT

Since last post, I checked diagram again, which confirmed the smoke box front is a separate part.  I just returned from the basement where I easily removed it.  It revealed that there are no switches remaining, so they have been removed.  I do see the big, square block under the stack which would be the smoke unit.  It is, "cocked," a little to one side, not sure why.  Under and all around behind it I see a mass of colored wiring and a glimpse of what I suspect is circuit board. I've been convinced for a while, (like you now suspect), that it has been over-sprayed to matt black.  The spot plate, which I think came with no road number, has a, "27," decal nicely applied.  Same on the sand dome, and a, "C&S,"  under the cab window.  All nicely weather over to eliminate a stark appearance.  I looked at all the Bachmann site catalogs applicable to these and found my stock number shown for 2002 and 2004.  "Painted, (black), unlettered.  For 2006 no all black shown.  Can't remember a out white or silver smokebox.  But 2002 and 2004 was all black. 
The date code on the box of November, 2000.  If this model was introduced in catalog year 2001, as mentioned earlier in this thread, all this makes sense as they probably were building them in 2000 getting them ready to ship for the new sales year.  Also, our late club member, Russ,  who had this was a never married, well off financially fellow and left this world with a house full of model RR equipment  in all scales.  So for him to have purchased this when it appeared a new Bachmann model for sale, makes sense as well.  Furthermore, we have had a couple excellent craftsmen in our club who did a lot of work for members.  Good chance that is how my model got, "modified."  I'm not unhappy, as this sits it is totally undamaged in every mechanical sense, and all parts are as they should be.  I'll just put it back in service as a well worn but still beautiful model. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Dennis,

Makes good sense to me, if you ever do want to modify it, you could ask around at your club and try to find out who modified it.

Your loco originally had a gunmetal smoke box as did all the Spectrum 2-6-0's. In many pictures this color looked black. 

Fred2179

Quoterevealed that there are no switches remaining, so they have been removed.  I do see the big, square block under the stack which would be the smoke unit.  It is, "cocked," a little to one side, not sure why
I have never used one, but I recall they can 9verheat if you aren't careful.

Two thoughts for you. The front headlight is powered through the metal brackets which slide in to the smokebox and have a thin wire on each side from the pcb in the boiler. If they are still there you should be able to make the headlight work.

The direction switch that you are missing took the output of the pcb to the motor and allowed you to reverse the motor wires. The switch had white wires that lead to a small connector and then to the motor. If your loco runs but in the wrong direction it is easier to flip the wires on the motor than to take it all apart.

BTW. I find it difficult to believe those switches are removed. Seems more likely they are stuffed inside the boiler behind the smoke unit?

DennisBT

If the switches are still in there, they've been pushed past the smoke unit block and into the area behind it.  I have no intention of using the smoke unit.  I've retained them in a couple other lokies and find I just don't bother using them.  Were they to emit a lot of Black smoke, that might be another matter.  (G)