Bachmann Trains - 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive with Metal Gears - D&RGW™ - Flying Gran

Started by rjweskamp, January 27, 2023, 10:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjweskamp

Want to buy this Loco, but would like to know what "Plug n Play" board I need to be compatible with my NCE system DCC. The words in the description say DCC Ready, but which decoder to buy remains a mystery to me. ANY HeLP will be appreciated.

RailMan63

I have that exact same model.
It has a Soundtraxx TSU-4400 DCC sound decoder installed in it.
Sounds,and works great!

Greg Elmassian

Actually, I think the decoder is an OEM version, check to see if it has a chuff sensor... the older Bachmann units often had a SoundTraxx that was "crippled" in some way.

Other than the chuff input, they were fully featured.
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

tedyarbrough

Are the TSU 4400 boards plug and play for the Bachmann 21 pin arrangement? Photo on the systems web site looks like the pins are all on one side.

Greg Elmassian

This is why I said it is an OEM version.... with pins...

The TSU-4400 from Soundtraxx has no pins...

RailMan63

This is what the TSU-4400 looks like in the tender of the new 4-6-0.
I did not install it. It was installed by the previous owner.
I would recommend contacting Bachmann, or Soundtraxx for more information.

tedyarbrough

Friends,
Do we have any PNP boards currently available that are true PNP with the Bachmann board?
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

StanAmes

Ted

There are four DCC boards that are truly plug and play.  I define this as being able to simply plug into the socket and all functions are of the locomotive can function with no wiring.

Zimo has one that is currently in the market MX697V and MV697S
Phoenix has one  SM18 but they list it as currently out of stock
Bachmann used one in its Climax that can be found in the parts department.  It is a Soundtraxx OEM board
QSI had one but it is no longer in the market.

With the release of the Dash 9 Several manufacturers have indicated plans to introduce a DCC or RC version but as of February 2023 non have been officially anounced.

Partial plug in play

Revolution Train Engineer has one that plugs in and supports the motor.  It has sound but no chuff control that i am aware of.  The functions on the J2 side and the smoke can be controllded by soldering into the solder connections on the Bachmann Main board and plugging them into the revolution board.

Screw terminal boards.

All Bachmann locomotives that have the socket also come with a plug in play board with wires.  The only criteria is that the item you are plugging into the socket has both a + and a ground connection.  You simply attach the wires on the Bachmann plug in board with the screw terminals on the board you wish to use.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Greg Elmassian

I do believe that the OEM soundtraxx board did not have a chuff input either, but I could be in error.

Greg

tedyarbrough

Stan and All,
I am currently using the mylocosound board with the included spider board to wire it into tender. Chuff, bell, whistle, and standing still steam sounds all work. No headlights, firebox lights nor smoke. Chuff & bell are GREAT, but whistle is not very realistic. Just looking at other possible options.
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

StanAmes

Quote from: Greg Elmassian on February 13, 2023, 01:08:15 PMI do believe that the OEM soundtraxx board did not have a chuff input either, but I could be in error.

Greg

Greg

There are three different soundtraxx boards Bachmann has used in its LS locomotives.  I was for Thomas, another was for the 3 truck shay.  Neither of these has the pins for the socket.

The one sold in the newer Climax is equipped with the pins, plugs into the socket, can control the various locomotive functions, and uses the optical chuff that is inside the the locomotive.

Note I would definitely not use this board in the new Dash9 as it has 4 motors and I do not believe this board was designed for that load.

Same comment goes for the Phoenix board.  Good for smaller locomotives but I do not believe it was designed for 4 motor locomotives.

Stan

StanAmes

Quote from: tedyarbrough on February 13, 2023, 08:14:36 PMStan and All,
I am currently using the mylocosound board with the included spider board to wire it into tender. Chuff, bell, whistle, and standing still steam sounds all work. No headlights, firebox lights nor smoke. Chuff & bell are GREAT, but whistle is not very realistic. Just looking at other possible options.
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

Ted

Try this

In order for the functions to work properly you need to provide DC power to the + and - connections either through the spider board or to the + and - solder connections.  If your board does not provide + and - connections then a simple rectifier works fine.

An alternative is to switch the switches behing the smokebox to DC.  The settings are DC, OFF, DCC  a better wording would be ON, Off, Switched by the devoce in the socket.

Stan