Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2021, 09:25:36 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Large
| | |-+  The sad tail of my Large Scale 36 ton two truck shay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The sad tail of my Large Scale 36 ton two truck shay  (Read 339 times)

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2021, 06:23:32 PM »

I wanted a Large Scale 36 ton two truck shay to go with my other Bachmann geared engines. I should have waited for an opportunity to get one of the newer 38 ton shays, but I thought I got a good deal on eBay for this one which was from the second batch of the early shays.  I'm thinking that there won't be any gear problems. From what I have read on line the second batch had better gears, they are the ones with six screws in the truck cover plate.

I paid $200 for the engine but was hit with around another two hundred for UPS shipping from the east coast to the west coast. It's what I wanted but I didn't know the cost until the seller shipped it then told me how much I owed for shipping.

OK so I'm thinking I should never had bought this thing in the first place and should have waited until a 38 ton came my way somehow. So I sucked it up and pondered how I would add battery and R/C when it gets here. I have a trailing car, I just needed to put a decoder, sound card and speaker in the tender.

The engine arrived and when I put power to it a grinding noise came from the rear truck. I opened it up and found the gear had split. The seller said it ran fine!

I bought it as is, first mistake. I ordered a set of the replacement trucks for around $300.  I have $700 in it now.  I don't feel much like spending another $300 for the decoder and sound. After looking at the PCB in the fire box where I would have to attach the connections, I gave up.  There was no way I wanted to take the engine apart to get at the correct connections.

Today the replacement trucks arrived. I followed Bachmnn's instructions and Greg's on his web site. After replacing the trucks, nothing works!   The new top plate has 4 metal tabs that carry current to the motor from the truck. All the tabs are shorted together!  I had the rear wheels turning by touching power to the front wheels which also turned in the wrong direction. I turned the top plate around and the wheels moved in the right direction but I could not get anything to turn by touching power to the rear trucks. I took the rear truck and front truck off to see what the problem was, that's when I discovered all the tabs on the new top plate are all connected electrically. I put it back together with the new trucks and it does not move!

So now I have a $700 piece of shelf decoration!


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »

Mr Cochran,

Tell us more about where you are located. That will always assist in suggestions. Barring that information, I would recommend you see if there is a club or large scale organization within reasonable traveling distance. Clubs can be a wealth of assistance in these situations, and good camaraderrie


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 08:02:26 PM »

I live on the Central Coast of CA.  I belong to the Central California Coast Garden Railroad Society.

I am usually a bit more knowledgeable about these things then most club members.  I just think I am doing something wrong with the new power trucks.  Mechanically everything is there and was working before I got a hold of it. I got frustrated with it today and maybe after a bit if time I can figure out what is wrong with the engine.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:06:50 PM by bcochran » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  
Powered by SMF | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!