News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mogul tender wires.

Started by Terry Toenges, January 30, 2023, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Klein

Hi, Terry! Glad that the rear light test worked out for you. As far as the dimming of the rear light when going forward, I've had that in a couple of my locomotives, both N scale and HO scale. All of them were Bachmann. The HO scale one is a 44-ton diesel which I converted to On30 (same drive, different body). I've tried going into the CVs to see if I could change it to full-directional lighting but so far no success. I'm thinking that all of these engines sort of fell into the "low-cost" category and shared the same decoder (or at least the same decoder programming since a couple were N scale) that only supported the dimming of the rear or front light depending on direction. Best of luck in your endeavor to add a rear light.

Fred
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

Well Drat! I soldered the new harness to the existing wires. I clipped them both shorter. It ran for a couple loops around the layout and stopped. I could smell the dreaded burn smell and the pcb board was hot. When I unscrewed it, I could see that the "Motor +" wire got hot and the insulation stuck to other wires. I had the soldered wire joints all separated with elec. tape. I wonder if I  figured out the wiring wrong. I don't know. I traced the wires on the new tender to figure it out. I hooked the new tender back to the loco to make sure I didn't fry anything in the loco. The loco ran ok with the new tender. I'm glad of that.
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

Terry, just wanted to let you know that TrainWorld is running what they call the Super Bowl/Valentine's Day sale and they show an On30 2-6-0 in PRR livery for $109.99 plus $10 off for orders over $100. I happen to be on their mailing list so I get all of their sales ads. They also have a couple of other 2-6-0s for more money, up to $139.99. The coupon code for this sale is SBVD23. I didn't think that $100 for a 2-6-0 with DCC is a bad deal so I thought I'd pass it on. Hope this helps.

P.S. According to the ad, the sale expires tomorrow, 02/14/23.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

Thank. I just bought the PRR off Ebay last week for $99 with free shipping. I didn't figure I would find a tender and I wanted my old one running again.
Now that I have that one going with the new tender, I was trying to get the old tender fixed so I would have two Moguls running.
I ordered another sound card so I would have sound for both of them. I also ordered another stack, domes, and box headlight to back date the new one.
If I can't fix the tender or find a tender, it was all for nothing. I posted on the On30 Facebook pages so many someone there can help with a tender.
Feel like a Mogul.

Quentin

Quote from: Fred Klein on February 13, 2023, 04:18:57 PMTerry, just wanted to let you know that TrainWorld is running what they call the Super Bowl/Valentine's Day sale and they show an On30 2-6-0 in PRR livery for $109.99 plus $10 off for orders over $100. I happen to be on their mailing list so I get all of their sales ads. They also have a couple of other 2-6-0s for more money, up to $139.99. The coupon code for this sale is SBVD23. I didn't think that $100 for a 2-6-0 with DCC is a bad deal so I thought I'd pass it on. Hope this helps.

P.S. According to the ad, the sale expires tomorrow, 02/14/23.

I get the same ads and I just bought the same Mogul. My very first On30 locomotive. Let's see how I like it.
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Terry Toenges

Careful Quentin. You're liable to get hooked on On30. ;)
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

Terry, you're absolutely right! It doesn't take much to get hooked on On30. For me it was "just a simple loop around our Christmas village". Set it up, fell in love with it and totally abandoned my N scale layout. Never looked back and have no regrets and that was about 2017 or so, IIRC.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Quentin

How long do you think it'll take to get here? kinda impatient, ha
We're...
A...

Terry Toenges

You've got the loco. Then it's getting some cars. Then it's maybe I also need a different type of loco then the Mogul. Maybe some more cars... And so it goes.
Feel like a Mogul.

Quentin

mmh... so lemme get this straight, On30 is basically O scale locos that run on HO track, correct?
We're...
A...

Terry Toenges

Yes. 1/48 scale. HO is 1/87 scale. The "N" is for narrow gauge and the "30" is for 2' 6" distance between the rails (in real life). Standard gauge in real life is 4' 8 1/2".
Feel like a Mogul.

Quentin

Thought so. Thanks Terry.
We're...
A...

Terry Toenges

Is there anyone out there who could fix my Mogul tender? I can't find another tender anywhere. I tried fixing it and failed.
You can see the fried chip. I thought I had the new harness wired right but I guess I didn't. It made a couple of laps and then the smoke unit kicked in. I have another harness for it.
----------------------------

Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

Terry, the only thing I can think of is to find a working Mogul, disconnect the tender from the loco, and then, using a multimeter, trace each wire from the connection on the PCB to the connector and make a diagram. Then, go back to your tender and do the same thing and see if your connections match up to what you found on the working tender. If you find a discrepancy, correct it and see if the unit still works. Otherwise, you would need a replacement PCB at the least, perhaps also a new decoder. Hope this helps.

Fred
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

I have a good tender. I bought another loco. I'd like to get the old tender fixed now so I can use both locos. The new tender is  what I used as a guide to try to trace the wires on the old tender. 
I took the new one apart and physically traced the wires. I was sure I had them right but I guess I didn't. I hate to keep taking the new one apart for fear of dislodging those wires. I might have to do  that.
You can see by the pcb board that one of the chips bubbled up. Of the two vertical chips on the right, it's the top one. If I could get another pcb board, I  could try it.
I guess I could get a plain decoder and just wire the motor and pickups and light to the harness. I don't know how I would the sound card though without the board.
Feel like a Mogul.