News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0 questions

Started by whiteb01, January 31, 2023, 03:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiteb01

I have a 2-8-0 that I got that was inoperable.  Finally got it running-ish but have a few questions. Keep in mind that I just want this as a runner for my 6 year old to actually play with, not something I want as a show piece.

1. The drive gear linkage is all messed up.  Anyone have a diagram?  It does run and pull now,  just doesn't look like much of a stream engine.

2. Smoke unit (see photos) - does it appear to be set up right and how do you use it?

3. There is a copper piece attached with the lead truck (lead truck is actually missing) that makes contact with the body.   Purpose?  I don't see how it draws current from the truck since it is plastic.

4. Are parts readily available from Bachmann?  What year would I be looking at on this unit?

Thank You

whiteb01

the Bach-man

Dear whiteb01,
This is an old Reading 2-8-0 model that hasn't been made in many, many years.
There are no parts available anymore.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

trainman203

Verily, verily I say unto thee, beware O beware of used model steam locomotives at bargain prices. They almost invariably are what are politely known as a "pig in a poke."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

whiteb01

Quote from: trainman203 on January 31, 2023, 07:30:49 PMVerily, verily I say unto thee, beware O beware of used model steam locomotives at bargain prices. They almost invariably are what are politely known as a "pig in a poke."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

I appreciate the advice. I knew it wasn't running when I got it and was told it would never run.  I like a challenge.  I got it running but came here to learn a thing or two. 

whiteb01

Quote from: the Bach-man on January 31, 2023, 05:34:02 PMDear whiteb01,
This is an old Reading 2-8-0 model that hasn't been made in many, many years.
There are no parts available anymore.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

I'd be interested in knowing what is considered "many, many years".  I'm afraid I might be offended.   Lol

trainman203

The present consolidation has been around for 23 years, so at least that long.

Model railroading today is quite different than that of 25 to 30 years ago or more. Models offered are made in limited runs of various quantities. They come and go and parts inventories are rarely maintained. Bachmann actually is one of the best at it, and for them to not have parts for this model speaks to its antiquity and origins in the Model Railroad Jurassic.