STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2021, 08:16:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boy in St. Louis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Big Boy in St. Louis  (Read 1296 times)
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2021, 11:50:27 PM »

It's been quite a treat around my neck of the woods with Big Boy passing through the area. Everyone is posting pics and videos. I didn't go see it. It's route was over 60 miles away for me.
There are a number of videos on Youtube. This is one of them. You can find other videos on the sidebar on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25pCBtjJLo
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 12:06:43 AM by Terry Toenges » Logged

Feel like a Mogul.
DAVISinGP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 02:22:22 PM »

Geez, what a sight! The whistle is enough to knock you over!
Len

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 11:34:34 PM »

That's one BIG locomotive! No wonder they called in the Big Boy. Got some nice screen grabs of the window layouts for a couple of different dome cars from the video too!. Part of the return trip to Kansas City is in this video, which has a shot of the train's right side in the opening shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozdrVMYRiY

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 11:46:41 PM »

This is some good footage, too.

Feel like a Mogul.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 08:33:44 AM »

That baby passed three blocks from my house in Louisiana.  If it hadnít been 95į Iída walked over to the track.

Iím not a fan of its steamboat whistle though.  Much prefer more typical higher pitched ones.
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 11:28:58 AM »

Big Boy is nice But I'd rather see something like Durango and Silverton footage.

Feel like a Mogul.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »

Those of us old enough to remember the early 1960ís recall when smaller steam engines were still running in freight service.  I saw several:  the Reader in Arkansas, the Mississippian, the Magma Arizona, and the Green Brothers Gravel Co. in Louisiana.  Nothing like a steam engine switching the interchange way out in the country!
Ralph S

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »

Okay I don't understand.  Great images of a steam engine, but is that steam engine actually able to pull all those cars?
I noticed that after the two or three coal/water cars, there was a Diesel engine (4015) and you could hear it operating too. 
Len

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 01:51:23 AM »

Okay I don't understand.  Great images of a steam engine, but is that steam engine actually able to pull all those cars?

It could pull much more than the cars used for the tour, as seen in this vintage video about the Big Boy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcD6ZdPR9k

The diesel is in the mix of the tour train for three primary reasons:

1. Due to boiler explosions, mainly involving steam tractors, some localities passed restrictions on steam locos operating in their jurisdiction. The diesel is used to get through those areas.

2. To get the Big Boy back to the shop if there is a mechanical problem interfering with the Big Boy's operation.

3. As a size comparison of the Big Boy against modern equipment.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: