News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Turn-Out electrical values

Started by scarecrow76, February 05, 2023, 12:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarecrow76

Greetings,

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me the electrical values for the HO EZ-Track turn-outs.  I am building a very specifically controlled diorama and I am designing my own control system.  I need to know the voltage and milliamps values are to trigger the turnouts.  I don't see that info in the manuals. 

Thanks!

Len

The solenoid switch motors in EZ-Track turnouts will operate on 14-16V AC or DC. Be sure to use momentary contact type switches to activate, as the coils will burn out if left powered for more than a second or two. A 'wall-wart' type power supply rated 1 amp (1,000 milliamps), or better, should be used, as the current spike when activated is pretty high.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

I assume you are trying to automate the operation of these?The current spike Len referred to is real, but you can eliminate its effect on your power supply by adding a capacitor discharge unit to ypur setup. The capacitor stores an electrical charge until it is triggered byactivating the switch control button. It then dumps the entire charge through the switch motor. The capacitor is then recharged by the power supply over a period of several seconds. A good analogy is filling a bucket through a garden hose. It takes some time to fill the bucket, but the bucket will hold all water until full. Activating the switch control "Dumps the bucket" allowing for a massive outflow of current without having to have a massive input current to the "bucket."

Google "Circuitron Snapper" for an example of this circuitry.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

scarecrow76

Thanks guys! This info points be in the right direction!  I've found some examples of switch machine circuits.  I have found there are a couple of variations depending on the switch type:  Single-coil, Twin-coil with common connected coils, Twin-coils without common.  Judging by the 3 connection contacts on the EZ-Track turnouts, I presume that they are Twin-coil.  Only question is do they have common connected coils.  Anyone know for sure?  Here's an example of the circuit schematics I found for twin-coil.

http://www.circuitous.ca/5ToggleTwinBasics.GIF

Len

EZ-Track turnouts are twin-coil with a common connection. The center conductor is the common.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.