News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

repair a 4-4-0 Jupiter

Started by artmakersworlds, February 07, 2023, 08:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artmakersworlds

hi,  Building a very small layout and picked up a nice Jupiter steam train with all the cars on ebay.  Got a chance today to test my new stuff, my husbands engine works fine.  (my tester only.)  So no issues with power.  I bought some other train, runs but jerky, probably needs a good cleaning and lube.  But the one I really wanted for this layout is the Jupiter and it doesn't go at all.

So after hitting up assorted youtube videos, it seems between the tender and engine there should be some kind of "hex" coupler?  The other steam train I have is simply wired together.  But this only one video I could find mentions this odd coupler.  Mine has none.  I can see where it should go, but there is nothing so clearly power is not getting from tender to engine.    Any way to replace that?  Or could I simply put a wire in there?

HEY I dug up the only video I could find and he very briefly showed a manual he got with his train.  A picture of the part I need is on there, I froze it and grabbed a screen shot.    Might help explain the odd part I am looking for.

the Bach-man

Dear Artmaker,
The part is the driveshaft, which should be available from the service department.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

artmakersworlds

Thanks, just got off the phone with them, and they need pictures emailed.  Already did that too.   For the possible benefit of anyone else reading this thought I'd post them here too.  Along with how ever this ends up.

WELL guess I can't.   
copy;   There was a problem during the uploading of Jupiter2.jpg.
The upload directory is full. Please contact an administrator about this problem.

81kb,  limit is 350 but it seems "my directory is full."   This is my ONLY post here and so far only uploaded ONE screen shot.    Guess no one will see the exact part needed.   Oh well.

artmakersworlds

HI again,

Ok, my part came, got it installed easy enough, now....
For anyone who knows about this little Jupiter engine.... OR if not, does Bachman do repairs?

The thing will run but.... not really well.  It's like it just isn't maintaining contact.  If I LIGHTLY push down on the tender it will go, then it quits again.
I took the rear wheels off the tender, looking mainly for dirt, crud etc and found none.  If I had to venture a guess I'd say this thing was run a lot and perhaps the metal wheels, that make contact with metal plates under the tender are just a tad worn out?

So if anyone has experience with this same issue, post suggestions.

IF I can just pack it up and ship it off to be repaired and know it WILL work fine, I'm willing.

Thanks in advance.

bbmiroku

It sounds to me like you might need some weight in the tender (for electrical pickup) and in the engine (for pulling power).  The older Jupiter tender (I have one) tends to skew sideways a bit, which bites into the gears and grinds.  That's the problem with having the motor in the tender and the driving wheels on the engine.

Bobndwoods

The tender trucks have little wheels that ride on pins on the inside of the truck side frames.  Between each wheel set there should be a spring that makes contact between the truck side frame and a brass plate under the tender.  The springs are critical for electrical pick up.