News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lead/lag

Started by KushMaster, February 07, 2023, 12:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KushMaster

I have two engines and one is faster and stronger than the other one. Which should be the lead engine? I guess another way to ask would be is it better for the stronger/faster one to push or pull?

Quentin

Well, if you have the faster/stronger one trailing, it may derail or damage the leading loco. However, if you have the faster/stronger one leading, it may "rip off" (uncouple) from the slower one. You decide, but I would have the stronger one trailing. Or just replace the weaker one with another loco, but I don't know how many you have, or if you have specific locos for this consist.

Hope this helps.
Quentin
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

jward

You are trying to pull a train. With the faster locomotive in front, it will pull on the slower one, in theory this will lessen the load on the trailing locomotive and allow it to pull slightly more. If the faster locomotive is trailing, not only will it have to pull the train, it will have to push the slower locomotive in front of it, lessening its pulling power slightly.

In practice, as long as the two locomotives are close in speed, they will work together regardless of which one is in front. And when you really need the power, like going upgrade, the two locomotives will tend to work together rather than fighting each other.

ON my dad's railroad, we used two unit sets of Athearn diesels for many years prior to DCC. Due to the way the railroad was operated, these sets would run in either direction as needed, and we noticed very little difference in performance between the directions. None of these locomotives were perfectly matched, so there was some play between them. having good trackwork and Kadee (metal) couplers kept the locomotives from breaking apart on the road.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA