News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wrong part or do I not understand

Started by mikec069, January 01, 2008, 04:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec069

I'm guessing both with emphasis on the latter.

I'm in the process of installing a reverse section of track.  (See post of mid december) While at a train show I purchased a pack of 4 18" autoreversing curves (part 44549). The card says it's for "Bachamnn HO/On30 scale".  My question to anyone and everyone are these:

1) can this be used on a purely HO layout

1a) if yes then how do you set the gaps to 'open'.

If the answer to number 1 is no, I have 4 18" autoreversing curves (part 44549) going for purchase pice of 27.95.  I'll even spring for the shipping.  I have 2 HO 9" straight auto reversing.  Those I have figured out how to use.  I think I need at least 2 more.  But I digress.

Last question: Does Bachmann make 18" autoreversing curves that are NOT HO/On30?

Thnk you all and may all your rails run true.

SteamGene

Mike, the term "HO/On30" is to let you know that either an HO train or an On30 train can run on the track.  On30 is an O gauge running on HO track.  Standard gauge HO track is 30 inch gauge in O scale.  Make sense? 
Merry Eighth Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

mikec069

Thanks Gene.  That it will run on the layout is a relief.  What I'm attmpting to do is to have a section of track bisect the inside oval.  Such that a train can be going clockwise on the outer oval, hit turnouts (standard) to the inside oval, then hit yet another switch to cross the inside oval and now be going counter-clockwise on the inside oval then move to the outside oval later on down the line.  The reason for the HO/On 30 question is that there are no instructiions on how to gap the curved pieces and the under side of the curves is completly different then the straights.  The curves, it appears, is completely sealed.  Whereas the straights are ... open.

I hope I have stated the situation clearly.  I can try to upload some pictures later if that will help.

Thanks

Mike

Mike- If you are going from the outer loop to the inner loop with direction changes, it sounds like you are including a reversing loop. Be sure to insulate the reversing crossover section so that you can reverse the polarity of the "next" loop. If not, you will produce a direct short. More info available by googling "reversing loop" or checking books on model railroad wiring. Enjoy the trains!- Mike S.

Jim Banner

Quote from: mikec069 on January 01, 2008, 04:56:54 PM
I'm guessing both with emphasis on the latter.

I'm in the process of installing a reverse section of track.  (See post of mid december) While at a train show I purchased a pack of 4 18" autoreversing curves (part 44549). The card says it's for "Bachamnn HO/On30 scale".  My question to anyone and everyone are these:

1) can this be used on a purely HO layout

Yes, they can be used on an H0 layout but they are designed for use with the Reversing Trolley Car Set.  click on this link to see the set:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1209

What is special about these tracks is that they include wiring to make the reversing trolley work, thus the closed bottom.  They are NOT intended to make a reverse loop reverse automatically,  which, I believe, is what you are trying to do on your layout.

If the cross-over inside the inner oval is as long as or longer than your longest train length, then you can convert it into a reversing track.  If you use dc to control your trains, you will need two additional reversing switches, one for the reversing track and one for the rest of your layout.  If you use DCC to control your trains, then you can your reversing track operate automatically.  All that is required is to insulate both ends of the cross-over track.  Both rails need to be insulated at both ends of this track.    This is normally done as close to the two turnouts as possible.  Insulating E-Z track is easy - just pull the metal rail joiners off the ends of the rails and  replace them with insulating plastic ones from your hobby shop.  This will electrically isolate the cross-over track.  Then you can feed it through an automatic reversing module, connecting the module input to the rails of the oval and the module output to the cross-over track.  Bachmann's auto reverser is the model 44912 and can be found on the following page:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/index.php?opt=1
But remember, this auto reversing scheme works only with DCC, not with dc.

If your cross-over track is NOT longer than your longest train, then the problem gets a little more difficult, but nothing that you cannot handle.  If you need more help, you know where to ask.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mikec069

Jim

Well according to you I'm making this harder than it needs to be.  Thank you for clarifing it.

Additionally, according to Jim, this means I have 4 18" autoreversing curves (part 44549) going for purchase pice of 27.95.  I'll even spring for the shipping.  Any takers?

Now I'll have to re-read Jim's post again but I believe I hae all the parts I need.

Jim, Yes I am running all DCC and I have the auto reversing loop module.

Could you clarify this
QuoteIf you use DCC to control your trains, then you can additionally convert it into a automatic reversing track.
What do you mean sdditionally convert...  Ithought that what I was doing, and why I needed all this stuff (track, module, etc.)

Mike

Jim Banner

Mike, I uploaded my posting in rather a hurry as she who must be obeyed was calling me to our New Year's Day dinner.  I have just edited it to try to make that point clearer.  What I was trying to say was that if the track is long enough to hold your longest train, then it is long enough to make into a reversing track.  Because you are using DCC, you have the addition luxury of being able to make it reverse automatically.  If you did not have DCC, you would have to manually set the polarity of the reversing track to match the direction your train was going to travel on it, then when the train was on the reversing track, you would have to manually set the polarity of the main line to match the end of the reversing track where your train would exit it.  Back when dc and block control was common, it was normal to have three direction switches for each throttle - one for matching reverse loop direction, one for matching main line direction, and one to control the direction of the train.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.