News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco 2-6-0 Shell Removal

Started by JanCarr, May 26, 2019, 11:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanCarr

Having just spent an entire afternoon trying to find out how to remove loco and tender shells, I thought posting here with a clear heading may make it easier for others to find what is already scattered about on this message board. The exploded view is https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_260_DCC_sound_.pdf

Loco
1. detach stays from pilot to sides of boiler by pulling them outwards from the boiler
2. remove two screws under rear of cab.
3. optional but recommended - disconnect tender by unscrewing the link and unplugging the wiring harness (can be started by twisting a flat bladed screwdriver so that it pushes up on the lip at the wire-end of the plug and down on the lip of the socket)
4. remove the top of the sand dome (first bump on boiler behind smoke stack) and remove the screw inside.
5. lift the shell off the frame vertically.

Tender
1. remove the front truck to reach the screw on the bottom of the tender just behind the pin to which the loco drawbar connects (easiest if you remove the clamps holding the wire harness and part the wires). Remove this screw
2. gently lift the tender shell vertically upward easing it forward slightly to release the rear.

Jan

PS: I also found it best to remove the loco shell before removing the axle retainer on the bottom of the loco. This retainer incorporates the electrical pickup wipers and is therefore has wires which go up into the area above the socket for the tender wiring harness. By removing the shell first, some of the slack in the wiring above the plug can be fed down to so that there is slack below which simplifies removal of the axle retainer and access to the axles and gearing.

Mixed Train

Many thanks Jan, I want to install a keep alive in the tender under the coal load. Couldn't see the black screw which of course they hide under black wires.