Main Menu

Ma & Pa Ten wheeler

Started by Richard -Connecticut, December 28, 2007, 01:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard -Connecticut

Hello group

I have installed a Digitrax Decoder in my Bachmann 10 wheeler, however
the light does not work. From what I can figure out , based on the
diagram it has a LED -  Can this be replaced?
Thanks  and happy New Year.
Richard-Connecticut

ta152h0

i was hesitating posting this but my 4-8-2 heavy mountain does not appear to have headlights either, neither on the locomotive itself or in the diagram. I made a posting here about the tender not having a light. However it does seem to have a flickering firebox LED. maybe Bachmann did not include headlights not only on the 4-8-2 but also on your ten wheeler ?

NWsteam

I have the answer to your guy's problems.  I just got a Digitrax decoder and installed it on my shay.  When I tried to run it, it ran fine but the lights would not come on.(The light in the fire box did.) This means the decoder is in BACKWARDS!   :D When installing a Digitrax decoder make sure the orange wire matches up with the number 1 hole.(If you look all the different plug holes are numbered.  Remove your decoder, put it in the correct way, and then try.  If it does not work after all that then you have a much more serious problem.

Hope I was a help!

-Brad

SteamGene

Steam locomotives, unlike diesels, ran with the headlight off for most of their careers.  It was only in the twilight of steam that the headlight was on in the daytime. 
Happy Fourth Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TonyD

Yes, until sealed beam bulbs and running rules changed in later steam, it wasn't even suppose to help see where you were going, just tell people up ahead that you were coming. Sounds like my car.....on another point....boy am I dissappointed with dcc in general, layout is now wired for dc, double pull/double throws, slide switches, and the fleet of oldtimers doesn't have to worry about more junk stuck under the shell...as for the Bach dcc stuff I already own, any ideas on the BEST way to backdate it to stright DC? Must be a plug available....Gosh I hope this doens't become a thread fight...Happy New year- Tony
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

SteamGene

Tony,
All the DCC on Board Bachmann locomotives I've bought have shorting plugs with them.   They are two "U" shaped pieces of metal that you insert into the 8 socket plug.  I think there are instructions as to which four they go.
Merry Fifth Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

I was going to change the headlight LED in my heavy mountains, but I kinda like that white light look-along with the Elseco feedwater heat exchanger, some rather interesting plumbing, the engine has a rather "bad" look.  The only thing I goofed on is that I left the headlight on the front of the smokebox and installed flying pumps.  I don't care-I don't have to go into the smokebox.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

TonyD

Thanks Gene, I hate to admit it, but my favorite shop takes in alot of used stuff, consignments etc. I tend to buy his trade in's, so I rarely get a box nevermind all the goodies that came from the facory, yes, I make my own jumpers, but I'd hate to make a mistake and burn up something, guess that's the trouble with taking stuff home wrapped up like ya bought it at a fish maket. Hey, as long as the headlight isn't sky blue, like one unnamed company, all look good to me.  Flying pumps? Is that when they put the HL down by the pilot beam? That should be easy to route the original bulb, slit the bottom of the smokebox, paint the wires to look like extra plumbing, works for me! Tony
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler