News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire

Started by Quentin, February 15, 2023, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

Does anyone on this forum have a Bachmann model of the Berkshire? I found a guy on Ebay selling one with DCC, unlettered, listed as a "PROJECT". Just wanted to get some reviews on it since they're always sold out on the Bachmann website.
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

trainman203

There has to be plenty of those Berks around either on eBay, or at some discount house somewhere. I would not touch one called a project. They're telling you right upfront that there's problems with it, that's why it's not a running locomotive. If you need parts for one you already have, that would be the way to get them since there's probably very few available anymore from Bachmann.

I'd like to convert one of those engines to a Missouri Pacific/I-GN 1900, but the domes and the number boards and stuff on top of the smokebox front need just too much radical surgery to make it practical. Plus, the drivers are a good bit taller than on the MP engines. The nickel plate engines were known for running manifest freights at passenger train speed across a bridge route, unlike the slower-speed more typical freights that the MP engines with lower drivers handled.  Between the tall drivers and the extremely involved boiler alterations, it's a job for a much younger modeler with better eyes.  Besides, I am running a branch line. What would a 2–8–4 be doing running down my little branch?

Irbricksceo

I have one, I was rather fond of it when I still had a layout to run it on. The only problem was the cowcatcher fell of and I never managed to get it back on correctly, I can't figure out how it originally attached so eventually I just glued it on "close enough". A decent runner, with good pulling power and even handled my tighter curves somewhat well.

They show up on ebay pretty dang often though, so I donno how willing I'd be to pick up one thats a known problem child.
Modeling NYC in N

Quentin

I messaged the seller asking a few questions. Waiting for response.
We're...
A...

Quentin

Well that was fast. Got a response with a video of the loco running. Runs smoother than my 4-8-4 at home. Most likely gonna make the purchase.
We're...
A...

trainman203

I stand corrected.  A project engine that runs well.

Quentin

Yeah, surprised me too.  I think the project part of this thing is the DCC transition and the fact that it's unlettered.
We're...
A...

IronMan1017

I have two of these. Both with DCC. I just added a blunami decoder to them & have fell back in love with them all over! They ran well before. Now however with a better decoder & a beautiful sound system in them they are my favorites to run!! My 1225 Pere Marquette pulls my polar express heavyweight pullmans (10 total with lights & interior) up my 2% grades with no issue.
My 1218 PM pulls 20 coal cars with ease as well.
I want to get a C&O berk but I am in the middle of a layout makeover, so that will have to wait.

trainman203

Wait until you get into the motor control cv's.  Those babies will crawl like ants!