News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheels on my locomotive

Started by Jfc, February 15, 2023, 12:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfc

I recently got an old train set down and trying to get it going. The question is I have a Santa Fe 2325 and it has two sets of 4 wheels each. The front 4 turn and back do not. Is that correct??

Quentin

A question.

1. Is it a diesel or steamer?
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Fred Klein

Jfc, if your locomotive is a steam engine, you may have a model known as a 4-4-0, that is 4 leading (pilot) wheels that are somewhat smaller, 4 driving wheels (drivers) that are larger and 0 trailing wheels, which, when present, are also smaller. The pilot wheel are not driven and therefore turn freely. The drivers are connected to the motor via gears and therefore do not turn freely.

If your locomotive is diesel engine, it is possible that only one of the two four-wheel trucks is powered (meaning its connected to the motor via gears) and will only turn when the motor is running. The other truck is non-powered, meaning that the wheels will turn freely at all time. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

AHM made a switcher with that number.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

There's a Model Power train set that has a switcher with that number.
Feel like a Mogul.

Quentin

I found a Santa Fe bluebonnet switcher with that number, and that set. who knows.
We're...
A...

trainman203

Without information about what the engine actually is, no one can help

Quentin

Well he said "2 sets of 4 wheels each". But, that could mean the 4-4-0 or literally any "geep" (GP) unit. If its the 4-4-0, yes, the front 4 should turn and yes, the back 4 shouldn't. If it's a geep, then no, none should turn when off the track.
We're...
A...

Len

Unless it's an old pancake motor Geep, with one powered truck and one free wheeling for power pickup.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I haven't seen any 4-4-0's numbered 2325.
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

2 sets of four wheels each is any four axle diesel electric.

Quentin

Yeah there are no 4-4-0 steamers with that number. Most likely a diesel.
We're...
A...