News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC and radius requirements for locos

Started by mcfly5040, January 01, 2008, 06:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcfly5040

Can you run DC locos and engines on a DCC  layout, and can you run a 4-8-2 locomotive on an 18 inch radius turn? And if you can,t, what is the largest loco you CAN run on a layout with 18 inchradius curves? Thanks mcfly5040

grumpy

Yes you can run a 4-8-2 on 18' curves . I am running the Athern Genesis 4-6-6-4 Challenger on my layout which has only 18" curves but some other mfg may not run on 18" curves.
Don

TonyD

no idea about dcc, but each steamer takes curves differently, and remember that blind drivers have a purpose -in HO or 12" to the foot...on 18" snaptrack -gosh 40 year ago??? My tyco ten wheeler couldn't do it, my dad and an old uncle had the idea to 'bank' the curves like the real thing, or a race track. Did the trick- laying flex track to 20 inch cured it on the flat. Bought a 2-10-2 latley, took the 18" I still have in sidings no swet. The stiff looking mallets might take a 15", never tried it, but I bet in every lot of models, some will, some won't, but I still bank all my curves, my mainline is 26", still bring one home now and then that can't deal with it without fiddling around with the wheels or pivots-and get an NMRA guage tool- good luck- tony 
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

SteamGene

As stated, some 4-8-2s will handle 18", others won't. The Bachmann USRA light will, the Bachmann USRA heavy won't.  Brass is a whole new trip.  I have a PFM C&O K3 that has a difficult time with 40" radius!  However, to make the locomotive look good, the bigger the radius the better.  I have Walthers heavyweight passenger cars which don't look that good on 32" radius turns when inspected closely.
Merry Eighth Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

topsir2

The instructions that came with my new 4-8-2 HVY MNT. that 22" radius is recomended.

grumpy

I have a Bachman 4-8-2 heavy with dcc and sound and it runs just fine on my layout . I have only 18" curves.
Don