STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2021, 08:06:35 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  Item No 51317 2-8-0 Consolidation Questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Item No 51317 2-8-0 Consolidation Questions  (Read 843 times)
duff

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »

I recently purchased this 2-8-0 at my local hobby shop.  My home layout is currently DC, but the club is DCC.  The price looked good, and a Consolidation fits in with my operations.  It has DCC on board, but no sound, which isn't much of a problem for me.

I had purchased a Digitrax SDH166 decoder with speaker for a Bachmann DC-ready project, but extra work would be needed to fit the speaker supplied with the SDH166.  But I found that the speaker could fit quite nicely in the Consolidation's tender.  It was almost like the tender was designed to put the speaker there.  :-)

(1) The decoder has a CV for driver size.  My eyeball measurement with a scale rule estimated the drivers to be about 60".  The parts diagram shows the chassis assembly to be #H11408.  My Locomotive Cyclopedia of 1941 shows a Baldwin with 51" drivers, an ALCO with 51" drivers, and an ALCO with 63" drivers.  I was wondering what diameter drivers the #H11408 represents.

(2) This model has a regular coal tender.  In my freelanced southwest US, oil is the predominant fuel, and Vanderbilt tenders were quit common.  I could easily live with the existing tender shell, but the coal tender top, #H11403, is much harder to explain.  I would like an oil item, if one were available.  A oil Vanderbilt that I can substitute without too much difficulty would be even nicer.

Duff
Glotsville - Duffsburg Rail Road
Great Falls & Pinkland Railroad
Len

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 01:39:17 PM »

Shapeways makes a coal-to-oil bunker conversion kit.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/EHKDY5BNC/ho-tender-oil-bunker-kit

Chicago & Northwester Class Z 2-8-0 locos had 61" drivers.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 03:17:13 PM »

I didnít know about this shapeways oil bunker, thanks.  Iím modeling 1940ís MP, and while the 2-8-0 is too big for the MP, I number mine into a number system just above the MP spot class ones.  This bunker is just the thing.

I myself prefer the Tsunami2-2 decoder.  90 whistles, many 5 chimes and 6 chimes suited for southwestern roads.  The 2-8-0 tender is made for their 28mm speaker.

Back in the Jurassic Bachmann offered separately available tenders.  One was an oil bunker medium Vanderbilt tender.  They turn up on eBay occasionally for gold rush prices.  They also once had Spectrum ďmodernĒ 4-4-0ís that came with several option fuel inserts for the tender, including wood and oil.

This is still available, clunky details but modifiable.  Really stubby, good for very small engines only.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_155&products_id=9966

Good luck.  Not many of us southwestern guys here.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 03:23:34 PM »

https://soundtraxx.com/reference/sound-samples/tsunami2-steam-sounds

Thereís at least a dozen great ones in there that I use all the time.
duff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »

Len, thank you.  Are you suggesting that the chassis is modeled after a Chicago & Northwester Class Z 2-8-0?  If so, that suggests my calibrated eyeballs are not yet completely out of calibration.   Smiley  On the other hand, it means I may have to rethink using this model to stand in for a Los Angeles & Salt Lake / UP unit, which reportedly have 57"drivers.  But what is 4" in H0 scale when seen from 3' away.   Cheesy  And 4" doesn't mean I can't use it as my freelanced or a foreign road.

Duff

Duff
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 05:34:26 PM »

The Bachmann 2-8-0 is an as-built Illinois Central 900 class but for some reason Bachmann used a USRA standard tender.  Itís a Harriman engine so its basic lines are the same as SP or UP engines as well, except the domes are incorrect for those roads.

Fortunately someone is making parts to convert this engine to a more correct SP/UP prototype.

http://nightowlmodeler.blogspot.com/p/omm-bachmann-2-8-0-conversion-kits-index.html?m=1

This has always been one of my favorite photos.  It screams southwestern desert railroading.

https://www.trains.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/20170602.jpg
Len

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 03:09:34 AM »

Putting img tags around the link you posted makes the pic show up right here:

And that is a really nice pic.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 10:23:48 AM »

Classic Beebe/Clegg.  Oil train on the Tonopah and Goldfield during WW2, right before abandonment, going to an airfield.  I always thought those were old ex SP engines but they were built new for the T&G as I recall.

Also, note that both those oil burners have just begun to smoke heavily.  Iíll bet that Clegg told the crews in advance where heíd be so theyíd start sanding the flues to get that wonderful oily greasy black smoke.  The fireman in the lead engine is looking back over the train to see if the second crew had sanded also.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:28:06 AM by Trainman203 » Logged
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 11:30:23 AM »

Back to regular scheduled programming.

Duff, the Bachmann 2-8-0 is a wonderful mid sized engine and very typical, approaching many prototypes.  They couldnít have picked a better one.  I have 11 of them, 2 of which are in line to be modified as T&NO prototypes with the Owl Mountain parts described earlier.  I bought two of the Bachmann medium oil Vanderbilt tenders, right when dealer stock was evaporating.  I wish Iíd bought 5, they come up on eBay once in awhile but are truly ďrare,Ē despite what everything else on eBay claims to be.  I also have one of the shorty Vanderbilts intended for the 0-6-0, but donít have a suitable engine for it right now, it presently is a water car in my MOW train.

Iíve always preferred oil burning southwestern steam railroads but, like you, have had to imagineer reasons for my engines to be coal burning.  Actually, those roads all burned coal until regional oil discoveries became prevalent after 1900 or so.  The Cotton Belt and the T&NO were late converts, 1920 or so as per accounts of a retired Cotton Belt hogger and reports of coaling towers still on the T&NO in those days.  And during WW2, the SP acquired some cab-backwards 2-8-8-4ís originally delivered as coal burners to save oil for the war campaign.  In 1988 I saw one of the SP concrete coaling towers in New Mexico, though it surely is gone by now.

If you buy used Bachmann 2-8-0ís on eBay, be sure to look at photos of under the tender. If there arenít speaker holes, it is one of the earlier ones from before on-board sound days and will be harder to get a speaker in it. Especially if you make it an oil burner since the usual option of drilling sound holes in the coal load isnít there.  The interior is different, the mounting post that screws to the floor is in a different location.

Hope some of this helps.

PF
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 12:59:35 PM »

Trainman - It's good to see someone else who appreciates Lucius Beebe and Charles Clegg. I've had two of their books and four by George Abdill for sale on Ebay for quite a while and there's not much interest in them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 03:26:56 PM by Terry Toenges » Logged

Feel like a Mogul.
duff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »

Thank you for the answers, comments, suggestions, and links.

Glotsville - Duffsburg is a fantasy commuter/milk/mail/express line, very loosely in 1920ish-1940ish.  Operating during that time and in the general area was the very real San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad (1901-1916)/Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad (1916-1936).  Notes indicate that the SPLA & SL/LA & SL operated all UP lines south and west of Salt Lake City, Utah.  While GD was not created to be a reflection of LA&SL, I don't mind a nod in their direction, which this 2-8-0 is thought to be.   Smiley

Duff
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »

Watch this.  It looks like the engines are divided up between LA&SL and the Santa Fe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Moh2l7udjio
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: