News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers

Started by finkel, February 17, 2023, 11:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman203

If the couplers are riding up and down, they are installed too loosely in the pockets and need shimming so that they don't ride up and down.  I had that issue also on some cars, but a little narrow shim right across the front of the coupler pocket solved that problem for me. So the problem is not a flaw in the coupler.

Desert Rose

Nothing wrong with the Cuplers. Its the track that is not perfectly level, and that's using a Lazer level to 0 ± 0.018.
When the train slows down and stacks up the couplers find level on the section of track there setting on, which starts the coupler creep. When resuming forward speed, the couplers are locked in that offset position until the cycle is repeated. The push pole cycle is in milliseconds. I believe the #118 HO Scale SF Shelf Whisker® Metal Couplers - Medium (9/32") Center set Shank will solve the problem.

trainman203

Yes, I've had those issues on my much smaller layout, but with unlevel conditions due to house foundations settlement issues, endemic in our marshy region. But so far, shimming the only occasional errant coupler pocket has solved the problems on my Railroad. 

Coupler pocket dimensions vary between manufacturers. Some provide looser coupler fit than others.  Using Kadee's own pocket supplied with most packages of their couplers, would take care of vertical Coupler play but naturally, that is not really practical on most models.

Desert Rose

I like to use the gray kadee washers to take the droop out.

trainman203

That's a great idea

Ralph S

I second your drooping coupler fix.  The only difference for me is that I use the red Kadee (208)
instead of the grey (209).

Desert Rose

Quote from: Len on April 26, 2023, 06:21:34 PMHave you tried the Kadee #118 SF Shelf couplers?
https://www.kadee.com/118-ho-scale-sf-shelf-whisker-metal-couplers-medium-932-centerset-shank

Len

Quote from: Benjamen on April 26, 2023, 06:59:00 PMNo, I will purchase 12 sets and start testing them, Good idea.

We started the test by retrucking and installing body mount couplers on some old Tyco rolling stock.
1.)    Accurail Roller Bearing Trucks.    P/N:165
2.)    Kadee Universal Insulated Gear Box .    P/N:242
3.)    Kadee #118 SF Shelf couplers.
4.)    Intermountain 33" Metal Wheelsets    P/N:W40050

We installed Kadee #118 SF Shelf couplers on some Accurail 8900 Series 89' TOFC Flat Cars.

We installed Accurail #1017 standard size coupler boxes straped, Kadee #118 SF Shelf couplers on some Bachmann DD40AX Centennials.

We installed Accurail #1017 standard size coupler boxes, Kadee #118 SF Shelf couplers on some Bachmann SD40-2.

We assembled a midsized unit train and preformed the fallowing trial runs.
1.)    Step 0 to 128 (103 smph) forward for an hour on 100ft of  ez track on the R&D shop floor for maximum
        unevenness.
2.)    Step 0 to 128 (103 smph) backwards, that lasted longer than I thought it would.
3.)    Switching.
4.)    Coupling and uncoupling

Once properly rigged everything worked quite well using the Kadee #118 SF Shelf couplers, no car separation due to coupler creep.

This is stock footage of some highspeed trials.

Len

Glad to hear the Kadee 118's are working out for you.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.