Adding a Keep alive to an N scale Spectrum 2-6-6-2 DCC on board

Started by kcs114, February 20, 2023, 11:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcs114

I want to add a Keep Alive to an N scale Spectrum 2-6-6-2 DCC on board. Where do I attach the wires?

Quentin

I don't know the answer, I just want to compliment you on running that monster. I have one (not spectrum) and that thing finds EVERY track malformation.
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

kcs114

I haven't had that problem with these locomotives. I have turnouts from a variety of generations and manufacturers, and some of these have required extensive tuneups to get reliable operation, but my Bachmann 2-6-6-0s and Consolidations all perform reliably. That's right, I said 2-6-6-0s. I shorten the 2-6-6-2s to make Denver & Salt Lake 2-6-6-0s. Of course, shortening the frames, boilers and tenders all void the warranties, but I am willing to accept that in order to get locomotives that are so quintessential to the D&SL. (Note to Bachmann: after the D&RGW took over the D&SL, these were used by the Rio Grande until 1951.) (2nd note to Bachmann: I am aware that attaching a Keep Alive to the original decoder will void my warranty, but I will gladly accept that in order to get smoother operation.)