STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2021, 07:50:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  Different tracks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Different tracks  (Read 534 times)
supernaw

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2021, 03:36:57 PM »

Good day everyone.

I am new to model railroading and have my first Bachmann set. I am really enjoying it along with the structure kits.

My question is that my wife purchased me Kato track parts rather than the Bachmann. Both are HO scale. Before I connect I wanted to see if these are compatible or not? How about the other brand names? Just need to know if I need to get these exchanged and if i have to get very specific in my gift requests going forward.

Thank you for your time.
Scott
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 05:22:13 PM »

Compatibility is a relative turn.  Any Code 100 track brands should work together.  However, the pre molded roadbeds certainly don’t match up in terms of the roadbed sectional mating system, and possibly height of the roadbed.

So the short answer is yes, but certainly with adaptations needed.  Which is part of model railroading.

It could be worse.  You could have been gifted O gauge 3 rail track.  Be ready to be given all sorts of odd unusable train things.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:24:49 PM by Trainman203 » Logged
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 10:22:46 PM »

I have to laugh at the statement, "Be ready to be given all sorts of odd unusable train things." Friends, family, acquaintances - when they run across any kind of unwanted trains, they try to give them to you, no matter what scale or era. It happens to me all the time. My cousin just messaged me on Facebook the other day and said he found some old trains from when he was a kid and wanted to give them to me because I'm a "train" guy. I told him I had more than I needed already and declined. Cheesy

Feel like a Mogul.
Ken Huck

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 11:50:23 PM »

So true Terry.  My mother-in-law (bless her heart) got me a couple of tin-plate era cars
that barely had any paint them because my wife told her, "I liked trains".

Quentin

Working on a ceiling shelf layout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »

I don't know if y'all have heard, but my grandfather was Dr. Dale Derby of Owasso, OK (Tulsa metro). He was the anesthesiologist who drowned in Oologah lake.

Anyway, that's not the topic of this post.

He knew that I loved trains, and he had 4 generations of O gauge and HO gauge trains and rolling stock. His, his fathers, his grandfathers, and his great-grandfathers. One of the ancient Lionels that I got from him came from my great-great-grandfather when he was in WW1. I do not know where it came from, but it still runs! I got all of those trains. And we are still buying!

Quentin

Quentin D.
Len

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 06:09:26 PM »

One way to connect HO EZ-Track and Kato UniTrack together is by using a pair of Power-Loc track adapters back-to-back at each connection.

Oritinally intended to connect Power-Loc (originally Life-Like, now Walthers Trainline #931-1370) track to other brands, such as EZ-Track. By connecting two adapters back-to-back, the staggered ends slide together sideways, you can connect code 100 EZ-Track to one side and code 100 Kato UniTrack to the other. The plastic bits on the ends of the EZ-Track and UniTrack slide into an opening on the end of the adapter. So the only physical connection is the rail joiners, meaning this is best done on a layout that will be fastened down.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 11:00:45 AM »

Quentin, some of the very oldest Lionel trains are possibly worth some money to collectors.  Research them on line.  Post WW2, not so much.

NOTE!!!! Contrary to popular belief, not all “old trains” are worth a fortune!  Only very selected ones!  Consult train collectors online sites first!  Most “old trains” are worth less than the effort it takes to bring them out to the trash.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:05:10 AM by Trainman203 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: