News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

moved queation from johnny to the forum

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, February 23, 2023, 07:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Bill.  Thanks for your last reply. 

If I bought a new Big Hauler Cowcatcher Set 90040 (version 7), would the engine & tender shells from any of the below easily swap with the Cowcatcher's engine & tender shells?  I am just starting out with train sets and don't want to get into any major modifications if possible. 

Big Hauler Tweetsie Set 90033  Version 5A or Version 5B depending on year
Big Hauler Mountaineer Set 90048 Version 5A or Version 5B depending on year
Annie 4-6-0 Anniversary Edition ET & WNC 81098  Version 5
Annie 4-6-0 Anniversary Edition ET & WNC 91606  Version 6

Thank you.
Johnny
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Loco Bill Canelos

Johnny,

The set is very new, but I have not yet seen one and I do not know which chassis is in the set.  I do not think it is a version 7 and maybe another member of the forum can help with an answer.  Since the catalog description makes no mention of the version 7 features I feel almost certain it is not.

It is most likely aversion 5 chassis and if it is yes you could swap. Again I cannot identify which it is with any certainty.  Perhaps the Bach-Man will see this and respond or one of the members who bought one. 

It is best to post a question like this to the forum rather than private messaging me. I will see all post to this forum

ETWNC

I misread this info and thought the newest 'big haulers' were version 7...  Version 7 2021-        PNP Big Hauler 4-6-0 ... All have the three window cab.   The new big haulers do not have 3 window cabs so must a version 5.

Loco Bill Canelos

Johnny,

It can be confusing, The locomotives in the sets are mostly Standard line 4-6-0 Big Haulers. They do have version 5 chassis, but do not have the more premium features such as the metal gears on the version 6 or the PNP socket in the Version 7.  Bachmann has never made it easy trying to figure things out. The Anniversary 4-6-0 is a premiun version of the Standard 4-6-0 and to some extent the version 7 is a premium version of the premium version!! not sure that makes any sense.

So confusing in fact that I can't answer your question about the cowcatcher set and be certain which version chassis it has.  I keep hoping a forum member who has bought the set can help identify the version.  Catalog pictures are sometimes not a good identification factor as we have seen in the past. 

If anyone has a cowcatcher set please help me out and post pictures of the actual product.  Guesses are often correct, but until I can confirm with certainty what a new set has or doesn't have, I do not add it to my historical historical database!! 

Take Care and have fun. 

Bill

Greg Elmassian

Also, only the version 7 has the ball bearings on the axles, right?

A spotting guide item if you are removing the bottom cover, not opening the tender.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com