News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 Curve Diameter

Started by Jeepersinco, January 01, 2008, 07:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepersinco

I'm redesigning my indoor layout to accommodate the new K-27 and need to know what the minimum diameter curve it can use? I really only have room for 8ft curves but 9s are a possibility if necessary.

If you have run in on 8s how bad is the overhang and can the body mounted couplers be used? Currently the rest of my 1:20.3 rolling stock is AMS with body amounted couplers.

Thanks
Jim

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
Eight foot curves are the minimum, but obviously the loco will look better on wider curves.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r.cprmier

Johann;
A seemingly stupid question:

Is that eight foot dimension in radius or diameter?

The only indoor trackwork I want for this scale is going to be coming into my basement; and then it is going to be an escape track, possibly with about four sidings; therefore, the rest of the track will be outside-and I am planning to initiate the project in the spring.  Probably basic trackwork around the yard until retirement; then the fun begins! 

Rich.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Matthew (OV)

Since he probably won't be on till later ....

Discussions up to now make the minimum RADIUS to be four feet (48") ... making the eight foot a DIAMETER value.  The original question here was for diameter, which is why he answered that way.

And to re-iterate... the locomotive will look much  better as the curves grow larger ... so use the biggest one you can manage.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
OV is correct- thanks, Matt!
the Bach-man

r.cprmier

Looking at the engines tonight, that four-foot radius is looking really tight!  I bet more like an eight foot radius would better suit this mill as minimum curve.

Rich
Rich

glennk28

The rear corners of the cab roof overhang are the clearance problem points of K-27's, at least my experience with On3 ones--

Jon D. Miller

Ran the K-27 today for the first time.  Smooth as silk.  Still have to finish the Phoenix sound instal.

Found that the K likes 10 ft. radius the best.  Handles 5 ft. radius just fine. Most of my track work has 10 ft. radius.

For switches the K-27 went through #6 switches just fine, obviously.  Aristo extra wide radius (5ft.) were no problem either.

Have one LGB 4 ft. radius switch on a seldom used section of the layout.  The K will make it through but you have to take it slow.  No problem with cab roof and edge of tender.  Where there could be a problem is with the pilot truck.  I noticed the flange of the pilot truck wheel, on the inside of the curve, was just touching the edge of the steam cylinder.  Would seem to me that running on 4 ft. radius could get a little "sporting" with the K-27.  Plus it will look like *#@"#@ going around 4 ft. radius.

I have a section of track that is really rough.  The sprung suspension of the K handled the rough track just fine.  With its long driver wheel base the K seems more at "home" on rough track than any of my ridged framed locomotives.

As an aside.  The steam cylinder caps were loose on this engine. One fell off while running.  Lucky I was able to find it along the track.  You might want to check the cylinder caps on your K-27. I used a little cement to hold them in place.

And those red classification lights have got to go. ;)

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

r.cprmier

What would be the smallest prototypically deminsioned turnout in Fn3?
My thought would be in the neighborhood of about three feet min.  What are your thoughts?

Rich
Rich

r.cprmier

I haven't had the lights apart yet, but maybe you could install white diodes in place of the lights.

Rich
Rich