News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to model railroading

Started by NerdlyNate, February 27, 2023, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NerdlyNate

Hi All,

Looking to start with a HO set feature sound and DCC control, but I have a few questions.
What Bachmann HO starter sets feature sound/DCC locomotives? It's not easily determined. I see some sets say DCC enabled, but no sound. Does that mean I can add sound to the locomotive? Also, is DCC an industry standard? Would I need a DCC controller, and do any starter sets come with that? Appreciate any input. There is a lot of questions to start and I realize it is a long process, but I don't want to buy uneducated.

Thanks!

trainman203

DCC ready means that it does not have a DCC decoder and speaker but has wiring "ready" to install them.  DCC equipped means that the DCC system is already in the locomotive.

Direct command control is a relatively new invention in the last 20 years or so, in model railroading. It is a universe  apart from the old transformers and power packs that used to run train sets. The operation of the train is not controlled by variation of the voltage of the track, but rather variation of the voltage within the locomotive via coded (hence " decoder") electronic commands, sent through the rails to the engine.  Other coded messages sent to the engine control sounds At one time some decoders only controlled the train speed, with no provision for sound, but I believe those days are past. Since you are individually. controlling locomotives, you can run several on the same track at one time completely independently of the other.

The only DCC thing resembling a " controller", ie a single operating module, that I know of is the Bachmann EZ command, which also is the simplest to for a beginner. Do not try to run DCC equipped trains with an old toy train transformer. I will destroy the decoder.

DCC is a wonderful thing and if you are just getting started with Model Railroading , I'd advise that you start with it at the beginning instead of thinking you'll save money now and upgrade later. When I first got DCC, the difference in the fun quotient was astronomical, unbelievable.

Yard Master

Hi Nate,

I'll answer your questions one by one:

What Bachmann HO starter sets feature sound/DCC locomotives?
We currently offer two DCC Sound Value equipped HO starter sets:
We also offered the Limited Edition 00827 Transcontinental a few years ago.

I see some sets say DCC enabled, but no sound. Does that mean I can add sound to the locomotive?
Generally, the answer is "yes", but it depends on the specific locomotive. You will need a sound-equipped DCC decoder and a speaker. Most of our newer locomotives that are not already sound-equipped will have a space and holes in the chassis for a speaker, and may even come with a speaker pre-installed. Others may not have a specific space for a speaker, but you can still install it with some modification to the body and/or chassis. We recommend to contact the decoder manufacturer to get their specific advice on installations.

Also, is DCC an industry standard?
Yes, DCC was developed by the National Model Railroad Association and has been adopted as an industry standard. There are many different DCC decoders and systems available, but as long as they are NMRA compliant, they all interface with each other. For example, you can control Bachmann DCC locomotives with any DCC control system, and you can control non-Bachmann locomotives using the Bachmann E-Z Command system. You can learn more about DCC and how it works on the DCC Wiki.

Would I need a DCC controller, and do any starter sets come with that?
All of our DCC Sound Value sets, as well as the 00501 Digital Commander (which does not have sound) include the E-Z Command or E-Z Command Plus DCC controller. DCC locomotives can be controlled with a standard DC controller, but you will not have access or control of all the DCC functions (for example, in a sound equipped locomotive, the whistle/horn and bell will play automatically based on speed control.)

Let us know if you have any more questions, and have fun!

Quentin

Speaking of the old Transcontinental... any chance of that making it back onto the catalog...?  ;D  
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Geeper

Hi NerdlyNate;
Welcome to a great hobby... best to learn it one step at a time... learn something new every day and build a solid foundation of knowledge. Trainman and Yard Master have covered DCC (digital) basics and just touched on DC (analog) systems. You'll need to understand both and when locos are interchangeable. DCC locos will run on DC too... but need to have DC turned "on" in DCC programing. [Most DCC locos come with DC ops already turned "on"]

Visit NMRA to learn DCC standards. Understand that DC locos that are "DCC Ready" come in two flavors... [1] 'plug and play' simply plug a decoder into a socket for 8Pin, 21Pin, 18NextPin, etc or [2] requires mini (micro) soldering the decoder and sound speaker. You have to read the loco instructions to understand which DCC Ready the mfr means... plug-in or soldering. Also industry standard is that NIB DCC locos come with a DCC Loco "address" of "3".

Learn what DCC "Functions" are (lights, sounds like bell and horns, etc) and that EZ Command DCC controller will handle up to 9 DCC locos. It will play sounds like Bell and Horn, turn lights and sound on/off, etc. The EZ Command does not program DCC locos, like higher level DCC Controllers do. But, it allows you to change DCC Loco "address" to a number 1-9.  Three years ago, I was where you are now... it's a fun trip into running DCC...
Enjoy it and keep smiling. 

Len

" Do not try to run DCC equipped trains with an old toy train transformer. I will destroy the decoder."

If you are talking about the AC transformers used to operate Lionel, Marx, American Flyer and other O/O27 trains, this is true.

It is not true for DC output power packs typically used to operate HO and N trains. As long as the decoder is set for 'dual mode', they will operate on DC fine. The only problem is the decoder will 'eat' roughly 5 volts of track power before the motor starts turning over. So the throttle has to be turned higher than you'd expect compared to a straight DC only locomotive. If the decoder is not set for 'dual mode', it will just sit there regardless of the DC voltage on the track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

NerdlyNate

jward

One thing you'll find is that model railroaders are generally a helpful lot. This is a big hobby, and it is impossible to know everything, so we all have our areas we specialize in. By participating in this forum, you have access to all of our various experiences. It's a great resource to have at your fingertips.

The road you take will depend on what you want out of the hobby. It can be a little intimidating at first, but you'll soon find out the parts of the hobby you enjoy, and what you don't particularly like. Don't hesitate to ask here if you have questions, and you will have many. We're here to help if we can.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NerdlyNate

Quick question, foam board, is there a "standard" type of 2" foam I should get, or just what the hardware store carries?
I'm planning on a 4x8 plywood base, foam, and laying track to get started.

Fred Klein

NerdyNate, the pink or blue foam board, sold by hardware and big box stores as insulation, will work just fine. I've been using it for years. It cuts just fine with a sharp knife and you can use the score and snap method to cut it to size. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

trainman203

Nate, there are dozens of websites and YouTube videos about how to build a 4 x 8 model railroad table, how to put foam insulation on it, etc. And a lot more about beginning with model railroading in general. I wish all that had been around when I started. It will help you avoid a lot of mistakes that the rest of us made in the past. Just start searching on YouTube. You'll be astounded at how much stuff there is there. Do be advised, though, there are often several different ways to do a particular task, and a different video and opinion 😱😂 for each one. Just spend a few evenings exploring those.

If it were me, and I was just getting started today, I'd get one of those two train sets that the Bach Man mentioned. Steam or diesel, your choice. And get a few more freight cars. I'd stick with buying new ones at the moment, there's always hundreds of them on eBay but they are all pigs in a poke with all kinds of issues that you don't know about yet.  When you eventually do start wanting those cars, there's a bunch of people here to help you, myself, Jeffrey Ward, Terry Tonges and other regulars, who are here all the time.

Those two train sets come with an oval of the Bach Man's EZ track.  There are more various pieces available to expand your layout beyond the oval that comes with the set.  And there are books with track plans using that track along with lists of what pieces you need. I used that track on my mainline when I first built my present layout 17 years ago. It's still there, although painted and covered in ballast now, and it's working fine. I did find that it did not fit well with the desired geometry of my yards and sidings, so I used other brands of track there.

Good luck and please report back as you progress.

trainman203

One last thing.  Paint that insulation board the minute you get it down on the table.  All the books recommend "earth colored latex paint."  That's a hard thing to find.  One of the books recommended Pittsburgh "tobacco," although soil colors vary widely by region. My friend's paint store was able to match that color so I've got a gallon of it and I've been putting it down on a little second layout that I'm building at the other house.

Len

Quote from: trainman203 on March 01, 2023, 10:05:57 AMAll the books recommend "earth colored latex paint."  That's a hard thing to find.

If you have a Home Depot in your area you can get just about any 'earth' color you can think of, except they don't call any of them 'earth' color. They have names like "bison brown", "Canyon View", etc. If you go to their web site and search for Behr Paint, then select Brown/Tan familiy over on the left, you'll be able to see what they have. And you can get roughly 1/2 pint sample bottles of the colors to try out and see what works best in your lighting.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

The problem with " earth" color paint is not the availability of colors, it's the ability of my eye to see how "earthy" it really is. I must've tried four different times getting a sample pint but once I put on the layout, it looked like anything but earth. That's why I finally gave up and went with the Pittsburgh color from the book. It doesn't look anything like earth in my area, but it looks good in the scenery in that particular book. It's going to be really underlayment more than anything else, to keep the pink or blue from showing through your scenery that you'll be putting on later.

Terry Toenges

I like the pink board the best. Everyone has their preferences. I've seen folks talk about green board but we don't have that around here where I live. When I first started, I used the 1" blue board and didn't care for that. Trying to cut it would break little hunks off.
I usually use small paring knives like these. I have used a variety of knives and hobby saws and meat carvers in the past. I've found that the thin blade of a paring knife makes a nice cut.

As far as base color, look at a lot of other layouts on the net and see what appeals to you. My first one, I tried kind of a dark tan and it was ok. Then I went with a dark evergreen paint and I liked that. Now, I just have it all white for snow.
I never got around to doing much scenicking because I kept changing my mind on what I wanted. Just when I thought I had everything decided, the On30 bug bit so I had to change again. I did that for a while and went back to HO.
Now, I'm just doing a Christmas themed layout. Every year I was dressing up the other layouts with Christmas stuff so I figured I might as well just do it all Christmas.
Feel like a Mogul.