STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 02, 2021, 08:27:40 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Unfortunate News
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unfortunate News  (Read 1064 times)
Chaz

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2021, 02:47:44 PM »

Dear all, I am making this thread under Bill and family’s wishes.

Bill Dwyer (known as Grandpuff on the forum) passed away a few days ago due to heart failure at the age of 77.  Those who knew Bill best remembered him for having a very positive and encouraging spirit when it came to the hobby of trains.  He not only loved narrow gauge modeling in particular and was also a member of the Train Mountain Railroad in Southern Oregon.  I had the privilege of meeting Bill in person in addition to sharing many different modeling skills and techniques with one another and he was never afraid to go out of his way to help other modelers.  The fact that he managed to make almost every single narrow gauge character in terrific quality really shows how passionate he was about the hobby.

He also wanted me to pass along to fans on here to continue to keep the hobby alive and everyone can continue to use the narrow gauge modeling thread as a reference if they need any help with any projects they would like to do in the future.

Thank you Bill for not only being such a great friend to everyone on the forums and at the clubs in addition to helping keep the spirit of the hobby alive.  Rest In Peace. 
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 03:55:48 PM »

I am very sorry to hear the news. Although I never had the opportunity to know Grandpuff in person, from what was displayed through the forum, he was an extremely skilled and kind modeler. His narrow gauge customs always impressed me, and there is zero doubt that he inspired countless others to engage in Thomas modeling at a very high level too. I wish my very best to Grandpuff and his family.

Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.
RailwayRoundhouse

Always happy to talk trains :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 09:25:13 PM »

G-n... That's really upsetting Cry I've never had the privilege of having any interaction with Bill, but I didn't fail to recognise the kind, passionate and encouraging attitude he displayed whenever he'd be discussing a certain topic or giving helpful feedback to other modellers. Rest in peace Granpuff, you shan't ever be forgotten.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 10:32:12 PM by the Bach-man » Logged
Mulfred100

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 04:22:51 AM »

Very sad news indeed. I didn't know him outside of this fourm but he was always very supportive of my modelling whenever I posted updates of my layout. He will be missed and thoughts go out too his family
Quentin

Working on a ceiling shelf layout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 08:43:00 AM »

That's terrible. I never knew him, but I have heard about him a few times since I joined the forum about a year ago. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends!

Quentin

Quentin D.
DecadesofSun

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 01:11:11 AM »

https://twitter.com/DecadesofSun/status/1453214041904541696

For those who wish to see Bill's work for themselves without having to scroll through pages of text, I took the liberty of archiving his photographs and sharing everything he posted in a thread on Twitter, in memory of him. Rest in peace, Grandpuff.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:28:43 AM by DecadesofSun » Logged
Angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »

It's sad to hear that grandpuff died. I was waiting for an update on his progress on the narrow gauge layout or other locomotive in the works.

He will be missed, bless his family.

"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 12:30:15 PM »

And he wasn't alive to see Peter Sam released, let alone fully painted.

My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Norman, Porter, and Timothy.
My wishlist for N Scale: Gordon, Henry, Edward, and Diesel.
Angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 05:12:54 PM »

https://twitter.com/DecadesofSun/status/1453214041904541696

For those who wish to see Bill's work for themselves without having to scroll through pages of text, I took the liberty of archiving his photographs and sharing everything he posted in a thread on Twitter, in memory of him. Rest in peace, Grandpuff.

That was a very good idea. I totally forgot some of those early pictures. Some good information about him in one visit, very touching.

I hope you had good responses on the Twitter.

"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »

I never interacted with him personally either, but it's always hard to have a voice you know so well suddenly go silent forever. He was always very kind and a passionate contributor to the hobby. His absence will surely be noticed and missed dearly around here, and I send my blessings to his friends and family.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 02:55:44 AM »

Sorry to hear about Grandpuff. He will be greatly missed by all here. It is also just a huge bummer that he never got to see the Bachmann Peter Sam model get updated. Cry
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 07:38:11 PM by JLK2707 » Logged
Plow_Bender

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 01:55:15 PM »

Hearing about Grandpuff's passing saddens me as well.  Truth be told, I never personally knew Grandpuff, but I've always admired his work through his modeling.  Still, it wasn't about model trains though, but his dedication to both his work and the hobby in general.  He shared a passion for something we all have in common here on the forum.  Although I myself don't model in Narrow Gauge, I know his inspiration and enjoyment of the hobby have reflected upon many fellow modelers here and will continue to do so in the coming years.

It's never easy saying goodbye to a friend/fellow hobbyist, in fact it's been almost a year now since we lost WoundedBear here on the forum.  Grandpuff's loss has really made me reflect back on that again as well, considering both modelers started out here on the forum around the beginning of 2007.  Looking back on Grandpuff's posts over the years and hearing his thoughts on various Narrow Gauge topics, it saddens me that those days have abruptly come to an end.  It's a cruel part of life, but sadly we'll all eventually reach the point when our time is up... 

Before I conclude this post, I want to give my condolences to Bill's family, as well as his friends.  I especially want to offer my condolences to Chaz, as I know how close you and Bill were.  If you ever need to talk, you can always send me a message and I'll try to respond soon as I can.  As for everyone else on the forum who was close with Grandpuff and/or have been inspired by him over the years, take what you've learned from that time and remember to keep the hobby alive just as he asked us to do.

-Plow Bender

"Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated..."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: