News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dual gauge On30 track?

Started by S. Calloway, October 28, 2011, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p51

I have given this some thought, and I was thinking a S/Sn3 dual gauge would look about right. It'd give the right spacing for the outside rail and you could always use S scale axles on O scale trucks and not look too odd.
Problem it, nobody makes that scale for dual gauge track, either.
If any company had, I might have made the "Bemberg area" theme for my On30 layout (I model the ET&WNC, which was dual gauge form Johnson City to just past Elizabethton, TN) I'd wanted to do but knew I wouldn't get the track right for there as the entire area was dual gauge...
-Lee

Ken Clark

The Largo Petroleum Company added a third rail for standard gauge to their 30 Inch gauge line, when building their refinery. Two Milwaukee 4wPM diesels were used one at each end to move the necessary equipment to the refinery site, at times a winch cable was used to help out if loading was to heavy for the engines.

Yes it looks like Lionel 3 rail but there was a prototype for the track.

Ken

RickRail

Using Proto48 with On30 WILL give you the correct spacing for what we are accustomed to seeing in the world of 3ft/standard gauge track with the narrow gauge rail being closer top the outside rail. The drawback is building a correct Proto48 standard gauge loco. On our layout we used a Bachmann/Williams Ge44 tonner converted to Proto48 using NWSL Stanton drives. Works great and makes a seet running loco.

p51

If anyone made dual gauge proto48/On30 flex track, they could name their price!
Quote from: RickRail on March 04, 2023, 08:16:43 AMUsing Proto48 with On30 WILL give you the correct spacing for what we are accustomed to seeing in the world of 3ft/standard gauge track with the narrow gauge rail being closer top the outside rail. The drawback is building a correct Proto48 standard gauge loco.
Man, if someone would just make a proto48 Porter fireless 0-6-0 like the one the North American Rayon plant in Elizabethton had. That ran within sight of the 3-foot ET&WNC and interchanged with them (though I've never seen a photo of one of the ET&WNC ten-wheelers in the same shot as the Porter, but they ran near each other for almost 14 years).
-Lee