Hey Mr. Bachmann! We've Got A Problem!

Started by RailMan63, March 04, 2023, 04:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailMan63

Hi, Mr . Bachmann.
I'm here to report an issue with uploading photos to this website.
When I try to upload an image, the website says "There was a problem during the uploading of... The upload directory is full. Please contact an administrator about this problem. "
Why is the website doing this?
Will it be fixed soon?
I'm trying to help a forum member with a DCC install on an On30 2-8-0,and I need him to be able upload some images of the decoder he has.
He thinks it is generic, but he's not certain what he has.
So, having a few photos of the decoder in question would be very helpful!
Many thanks for your time.
Mike.

Len

That's been an issue with this forum forever. You have to upload photos to a web hosting site, e.g., photobucket, flikr, etc., and then link the url for the photo in you comment here using img tags, which can insert using the blue icon immediately to the right of the 'YouTube' icon in the icon bar above where you enter your comments.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

If Bachmann was going to change being able post pictures directly, they probably would have done it with the new format. I guess that part will stay the same. As Len said, it's been that way for years. The pic has to have a "URL" address. At least now, we have a clickable box to do it. Before, we didn't even have that and had to manually type in the image tags.
Feel like a Mogul.

Geeper

Could be photo size... sending 3.4-6.5 mb pics will overdrive the cache size. Reduce the photo to 30-75 kb and you can download 100s of pics...
Might work, might not... my email account is the same way. Photos today are often needlessly huge, and often way-beyond the pixel limits on my pc monitor or cell phone.

RailMan63

They did change it .
I've uploaded several files on the G Scale forum with no problem.
The last photo I tried to upload to this site was only 69kb,well under the 350kb that this site allows.
I'm a computer expert,and I know the difference in file types and sizes!
Now, there's suddenly a problem,again, and I wish they'd fix it permanently.
Check out one of the posts that I uploaded photos to on the large scale side:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,37994.0.html

No other train forum that I belong to does this.
The problem/issue is,in my experience, unique to this one.
I'm glad that mylargscale, and gscalecentral, don't have issues with uploading pics.
Mike

Terry Toenges

Can you tell me how you did it before to load those photos? What steps did you take to do it? Did the pic come straight from your computer?
Feel like a Mogul.

RailMan63

Sure.
Here's how it's supposed to work:
On the bottom of the reply box,left hand side ,there is a little blue arrow that points down.
Next to it there is text That says "Attachments and other options".
Click on the blue arrow.
Look for the box that says "Drag add drop your files here,or use the button to add files."
Click "Add Files".
A box will automatically open on your screen. It will show a file on your computer.
Generally it's one that you've been using mostly recently to store photos,documents,etc.
If it's the wrong file,on a Windows PC,or laptop,you'll click on the drive you keep your photos on.
For a lot of users,it's usually drive C.
Click on the drive letter for the drive you need to open.
Everyone is different, so what I'm telling you may not apply to your device! My computer is a multi-drive device with 4 HD's and 11TB of storage.
The drive I store my photos on is designated as Drive D,which is a 2 terabyte drive.
So, on my machine,I would click on the icon for drive D.
When the drive opens, it shows all of the various files on drive D.
I select the file folder where the photo I'm looking for is ,scroll down to the photo and then click on it.
It will automatically upload to the website.
You can load multiple photos, or ,if you're done,you can click upload.
The photo should then complete uploading to the website.
And this is where the error message comes up.
It was fine. It worked . And now it will not.
Hopefully they'll fix this issue.
But if not, as has already been noted,is not like we haven't dealt with this issue for years.

Terry Toenges

Ok. I just tried and got the "upload directory is full". You are right. I remember seeing the attachment thing when the board first came back and used it. Then I  forgot about it.  My pic isn't showing up. It's blank where the pic should be.
Feel like a Mogul.

RailMan63

Yes sir.
Let's hope they get it fixed for us.
Fingers crossed!

Terry Toenges

This is from the "Questions or Issues with Forum Upgrade" at the top of the General Discussion page. Apparently it started using too much space.
-----------------------------------
"January 20, 2023, 09:56:36 PM
We would prefer that you click the picture icon (next to YouTube icon) and enter the url you can use various cloud services (Photobucket, Google Drive, etc.)

You can also click on Attachments and other option below the posting box to upload a reasonably sized photo.  If this starts to use too much space, we will disable the feature. You can get 15mb for no cost Google drive account."
Feel like a Mogul.

Geeper

I avoid most things Google... haven't used Google search for 10+yrs. Read the fine print, anything you upload through Google they have 'ownership' and can sell it to others. You are not a Google customer, you are their  product, to be data-mined and sold for profit. Many others do this too, especially free cloud apps, anything uploaded is theirs to sell. I noticed Roku is now offering photo sharing to 'upload' personal and family photos so family members can also view them. Might they also harvest and sell them to others... yep... High-Tech has hazards and risk.   

Ralph S

Okay, I may be wrong on this issue, but I'll let you decide:

The main reason the forum (i.e. entire Bachmann web system) does not or limits the photos and videos, etc. is basically data storage capability.  I believe that Bachmann although could provide storage space would eventually add unwanted or unnecessary cost to maintaining the data storage, which would require additional maintenance, with building space for cooling all the harddrives and power necessary to maintain that data storage.

Not sure why the Bachmann administrator doesn't state that this is a reason for limiting photos, but it makes perfect sense to use others webs data storage and the links are only bytes of storage instead of kilo and megabites of storage.

By the way, if you use your own website or someone else's your files will only be deleted by you or your web provided.  There are a few Bachmann images that were missing after this new upload.  All of my images from prior to the new forum are still there in my queries. 

Also as stated earlier I'm sure Bachmann doesn't want to be responsible for or get into data mining and maybe not selling but ensuring personnel data is not divulge to others.

That's my take on this issue of uploading photos on this forum.  If I'm totally wrong, let me know.