News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2023 On30 Annual

Started by Fred Klein, March 06, 2023, 12:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Klein

Ken,

Sounds like a fairly involved project. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of it. As far as coffee stirrers are concerned, I kept running short also, so I finally broke down and ordered some from Amazon (where else). I got a box of 1000 extra-long (about 7 inches) for around $10 US but that's been at least 3 years ago - who knows what they're going for now. These stirrers are a little wider and thicker than what I get with my coffee, so they work out really well for floors, roof eaves, etc. - basically any place where a little beefier lumber would normally be used. They make great platforms for stations (both freight and passenger) and I have also used them for exterior walls and been very pleased with the results. Best of luck with the project.

Fred
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

p51

FYI, I was advised that the writers will be getting a digital proof of their articles, but that hasn't happened yet. Normally, once I get a proof, that means they're essentially ready to print. At that point they're usually about a month away from getting copies in hands.
Quote from: Fred Klein on June 25, 2023, 12:35:17 AMAs far as coffee stirrers are concerned, I kept running short also, so I finally broke down and ordered some from Amazon (where else). I got a box of 1000 extra-long (about 7 inches) for around $10 US but that's been at least 3 years ago - who knows what they're going for now. These stirrers are a little wider and thicker than what I get with my coffee, so they work out really well for floors, roof eaves, etc. - basically any place where a little beefier lumber would normally be used. They make great platforms for stations (both freight and passenger) and I have also used them for exterior walls and been very pleased with the results.
I bought the same thing you did. I think most modelers would never run out of these suckers. They're the best hobby value out there for us O scale types!
-Lee

Fred Klein

Thanks for the update, Lee. I've been checking the WRP website every so often but have found nothing new. Oh well, they say patience is a virtue.

As far as the coffee stirrers go, this is definitely a lifetime supply. I usually just stain them with an India-ink and alcohol wash and at the end of the project I give everything a light coat of flat finish to blend things together and cover up any glue spots. So far, I've been very pleased with the results.

Thanks again for the heads-up on the On30 Annual.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

p51

Quote from: Fred Klein on August 03, 2023, 12:50:48 AMThanks for the update, Lee. I've been checking the WRP website every so often but have found nothing new. Oh well, they say patience is a virtue.
It is indeed. When you write for magazines, you get used to the waiting.
Quote from: Fred Klein on August 03, 2023, 12:50:48 AMAs far as the coffee stirrers go, this is definitely a lifetime supply. I usually just stain them with an India-ink and alcohol wash and at the end of the project I give everything a light coat of flat finish to blend things together and cover up any glue spots. So far, I've been very pleased with the results.
I essentially did the same on the front that is the biggest part of the back wall backdrop on my On30 layout:
-Lee

Fred Klein

Lee, I've always admired your layout. I rank it right at the top of my favorite layouts along with Joseph Kreiss' Mosquito Creek Lumber, Model Railroader's Olympia and Dave Meek's Thunder Mesa. Usually, when I need some inspiration or just for fun, I'll go to the back issues of the On30 Annual, or in the case of Olympia or Thunder Mesa, YouTube, and just look at your pictures of the layout and how you composed the scene in the space available and I always come away with learning something new. I'm sure there are other layouts that I've forgotten to mention but your's and the ones I named rank right up there. As a matter of fact, I was inspired to develop the "alternate universe" for my layout after reading what you created for the Stoney Creek. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

p51

Quote from: Fred Klein on August 04, 2023, 01:05:24 AMLee, I've always admired your layout. I rank it right at the top of my favorite layouts along with Joseph Kreiss' Mosquito Creek Lumber, Model Railroader's Olympia and Dave Meek's Thunder Mesa.
Thanks very much, Fred.
The funny thing is among the visitors I got for the National NG Convention in September and the few for the Pac NW NMRA convention in May, several were very familiar with my layout via my articles and online presence. Several said they didn't realize the overall layout was much smaller than they'd envisioned (though none thought of it as bait-and-switch as I usually note how small the room is).
Quote from: Fred Klein on August 04, 2023, 01:05:24 AMAs a matter of fact, I was inspired to develop the "alternate universe" for my layout after reading what you created for the Stoney Creek. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work.
I've gotten a few people over the past few years emailing me with the same sentiments.
I have always considered all layouts to be an alternate reality as nobody can model something in exact scale proportion or have the details 100% accurate. So, if that is so, then it's just a matter of how far you're going to go into your alternate universe.
Most people give generalities to their layout, saying where it takes place and a general era ("transition era" being the most popular as an excuse to essentially run any kind of rolling stock or locos they want and darn the era), and that's usually the furthest they go, if then.
Among the better layouts out there, almost all have a detailed concept and the owner adhered to it. I'm a massive stickler for historical details; that's my thing.
My layout is two things to me:
1. The best representation of ET&WNC country I could make in a small space
2. The WW2 era, namely late summer of '43
But again, thanks, Fred!
-Lee

Fred Klein

Lee, unfortunately the only opportunity I had to ride the ET&WNC was at Blowing Rock, NC. I enjoyed the ride immensely. Got to ride with #12 pulling the train, no less. So I can't say that I'm very familiar with the countryside of the original ET&WNC. I've driven through Tennesee and North Carolina numerous times, but it was always to get to somewhere else and you don't get much of a feel from the interstates.

Just looking at the pictures of your various articles, I never got the impression of "bait and switch". You've always been up front about the size of the room plus I've studied your layout plan many times in order to orient myself as to what I'm seeing in the pictures. Having been into amateur photography myself (back in the days of film and darkrooms) I know that in smaller areas it is necessary to shoot at wider angles than normal. This wider view may have given the wrong impression as to the size of your layout. BTW, my entire layout is approximately 33 inches deep by 120 inches long, so to me, your layout is huge :) !

As to achieving your goals, I would say that you have succeeded very well. Having lived in Florida for about 40 years now, and traveling the back roads when I can, I've gotten the feel of the "South" to a certain extent (even though by many, Florida is really not considered to be part of the South) and your layout certainly captures that feeling. In some of the small rural towns down here the ambiance is such that it could still be 1943.

Anyway, thanks for the great articles and especially the pictures. Like I said, I pore over them, sometimes with a magnifier, to pick up all the details.

Keep up the great work!
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

p51

Thanks again Fred. If you're ever going to be in the Pacific NW, drop me a line and I'll have the layout open for you!
As for the On30 Annual itself, the Narrow-Gauge Convention in Denver is coming up in 3 weeks and Chris Lane is the main guy for that. I have a feeling that's going to seriously hinder his work on the Annual and I wouldn't expect to hear anything from him until it's over with.
I talked with Chris when he came over to my place in September for the Tacoma NG convention and he said he's essentially the white river guy for all the annuals. I didn't ask him if that was by his choice or white river was making him do them all.
-Lee

Fred Klein

Thank's for the invitation, Lee. I don't know whether or not I'll ever get up your way but seeing your layout would definitely be the high point of the trip. As far as the Annual is concerned, I keep telling myself "patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue ..."  ::)
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

trainman203

I don't believe anyone answered the question as to what an aerial Tram is. I would think it means cable suspended cars you see more in Europe than here, traveling hundreds of feet above Alpine valleys.

Ken Clark

Quote from: trainman203 on August 10, 2023, 09:45:30 AMI don't believe anyone answered the question as to what an aerial Tram is. I would think it means cable suspended cars you see more in Europe than here, traveling hundreds of feet above Alpine valleys.

I posed a video of an operating aerial tram line in the UK  message # 24

trainman203

Pretty far back.  Should've read everything. Sorry.

Ken Clark

just visited White River site, On30 annual due out Oct 1st, hopefully by Xmas, been a long wait !.

Fred Klein

Thanks for the update, Ken.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

p51

Quote from: Ken Clark on September 04, 2023, 11:32:51 PMjust visited White River site, On30 annual due out Oct 1st, hopefully by Xmas
I wouldn't bet an appreciable amount on that. The Narrow-Gauge convention just ended and Chris Lane was one of the movers and shakers for that, so I bet he hasn't had any time for the annual over last month.
I still haven't seen the proof of my article, which I usually get long before publication.
No slam on Chris because he's a great guy and does an excellent job with everything, but he's a one-man band and was dealing with the convention which just ended.
-Lee