Adding decoders to Bachmann FTA and FTB locos

Started by Tony.Burton, March 13, 2023, 12:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony.Burton

I have two older Bachmann FTA and FTB locos that run really sweetly on DC and I'd like to convert them to DCC.

I tried adding decoders and the locos try to shake themselves to pieces. I have tried decoders from 3 different manufacturers with the same results. Will adding new motors solve the problem or is there a lower cost alternative?

Tony.

Len

I suspect you missed a step or two during the installation. Step-by-step instructions for installing a decoder in the FT-A/B can be found here:

https://drupal.tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/1212

The pics show a TCS T1 decoder (since discontinued) being installed, but the steps are the same for anyone's equivelant decoder.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Tony.Burton

Thanks for the pointer Len! That's pretty much what I did although I didn't isolate the frame, I used it as the current path from the wheels/wiper to the red lead on the decoder harness. I did cut the lower motor connection back so it is isolated from the chassis (and checked it with a meter). I'll try cutting off the wipers on one of the locos and see if that helps. It is encouraging to see that other(s) appear to have done it successfully.

Tony

Len

I've done the FT-A myself following those instructions, but using a Digitrax decoder, and it worked fine. With a couple of exceptions I couldn't work around, I try not to have the chassis involved in power pickup at all when converting to DCC.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Those instructions are good but they do not touch on a couple of VERY important steps. Soldering the wires to the motor pads and wheel wipers on the trucks while they are still in place is a VERY bad idea. You should remove these items before soldering to them. Otherwise you run the risk of melting the plastic parts around them. A little time and effort to disassemble things fully will save you a world of grief. Be particularly careful with the motor. The pads you are soldering to hold the motor brushes and springs in place. You carefully remove these caps making sure not to disturb the brushes and springs. Without them the motor won't run. Only remove one brush cap at a time, and replace it on the motor before you work on the other one. For the wheel wipers you need to completely disassemble the truck, remove the wheelsets, and unscrew the wheel wipers from the gearbox.

Taking the extra steps to ensure that the parts being soldered are not in contact with any of the plastic parts of the locomotive when heat is applied is just good practice.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

len Eckert

I recently purchased a Bachmann starter set with a GM EMD F7 which has some resistors and (I believe) diodes soldered to the motor. It has no decoder but it runs on DCC. I intend to install a decoder but I wondered what these parts do and if I should remove them when I install the decoder.

Ralph S

This is good information.  This will make this "attention to detail" guy not to go out and install decoders on Locomotives.  Probably will need a detailed workbench to clearly do decoder installation. 
...from my experience.   

Desert Rose

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bob clarkson

Wanting to purchase a dcs sound equipped locomotive for 18" curves and dcc sound control .  Not sure whether to purchase a entire set or individual components?  Which locomotives are available now

jward

Quote from: Bob clarkson on April 22, 2023, 09:46:15 PMWanting to purchase a dcs sound equipped locomotive for 18" curves and dcc sound control .  Not sure whether to purchase a entire set or individual components?  Which locomotives are available now

18r curves are best suited to 4 axle locomotives like F7s and GP40s, and smaller steam locomotives. From my experience you can get away with smaller 6 axle locomotives like an SD9 or RSD5, but anything larger (like SD40-2s or C40-8s) while the locomotive itself may get around the curve just fine it will tend to derail whatever it is coupled to due to overhang on the ends.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

The Bachmann catalog has many DCC/sound, equipped, locomotives available, plus a variety of DCC operating systems.  I would not at this point attempt to purchase separate DCC components to install into a locomotive yourself. That is a task suited for more experienced modelers.