News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann GE 70 Ton SP #5114 Runs Poorly

Started by ShastaDivBash, March 13, 2023, 01:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShastaDivBash

I have acquired a Bachmann GE 70 Ton DCC switcher.  It runs poorly.  I've disassembled it to the point where the motor is only turning its flywheel --both fore and aft drive shafts disconnected.  Using my NCE controller, as I increase speed, the motor just hums/vibrates loudly for the first two-three speed notches and then begins to turn around the fourth speed notch --and continues loudly.  Is this a DCC decoder issue or a motor issue?  It is really unusable in its present state --runs like a cheap, bad toy and not a representative model.

ShastaDivBash

Update --if anybody cares.  I didn't get any responses and calling Bachmann just pointed me to resetting the decoder (setting CV8 = 8), which I did; no joy.  I had an old Digitrax DZ 126 laying around from an earlier to-sound conversion, so I removed the Bachmann factory DCC board and soldered in the DZ 126 --works fine; no vibration/hum, no sounding like a bad toy!! 

railtwister

Glad you got it working! I've had mixed luck with various decoders, and seldom have gotten to the point of changing one out in the hopes of getting a loco to run better. I'll need to remember this when all else fails...

Bill in FtL