News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler 4-6-0 won't respond to remote

Started by jaystuart, March 10, 2023, 02:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaystuart

Hello again,

I have a couple of Big Hauler 4-6-0's, one of which I just posted a question about boiler handrails.  I also have a complete set with all the accessories in a box from KayBee toys ($99.99 marked down to $79.99!) That loco responds to the included remote.  Are there locos that aren't set up for remote control?  It looks like the non-responding unit has the antenna running around the cab roof, but won't respond to the remote included with the complete set.

Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Jay,

Glad you figured out that you were using the wrong remote! Easy to do when you have more than one. Also glad you found my instructions helpful!

Keep having fun with all your 4-6-0's.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Fred2179

Quote from: jaystuart on March 10, 2023, 02:18:35 PMAre there locos that aren't set up for remote control?
Yes. Only the very first series of Big Haulers (which are identified by their plastic wheels,) had a remote r/c setup. All the rest with metal wheels are/were track powered when manufactured.

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on March 11, 2023, 08:38:56 AMGlad you figured out that you were using the wrong remote!
How did you figure that out? He didn't mention any remotes? Or did something get deleted?

Quote from: jaystuart on March 10, 2023, 02:18:35 PMIt looks like the non-responding unit has the antenna running around the cab roof, but won't respond to the remote included with the complete set.
The plastic-wheeled Big Haulers did not have an antenna running around the cab. It might be that the previous owner installed another type of r/c equipment and you don't have the remote (transmitter, or TX,) for it.
To figure it out, we need photos or more info. Does it have plastic or metal wheels? Does it have batteries inside the boiler (the back of the boiler lifts up on the plastic wheel version - not on later metal-wheel versions.)

Loco Bill Canelos

It was an R/C Big Hauler.  He used the wrong transmitter, and once he picked up his other transmitter he connected right up.  Sorry I was not clear about that!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

And the cab number is the RF channel number.
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com