News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD GP35 sound value

Started by Joe D, March 14, 2023, 07:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe D

I recently purchased a sound value EMD GP35 and would like to turn on the auto sounds for direction and grade crossing, but I am unable to find what cv's control these functions and what values to put in.  I have the full sheet of cv's for this engine, but it is still confusing as to what cv's to change.

The file for using JMRI decoder pro is not available for this engine and Bachmann only recommends the use of approved NMRA systems for changing cv's on their products.  Any help would be appreciated.  ???

Desert Rose

Activate the Automatic Sound:
If you want Automatic Bell and Whistle, the Sound Value Decoder (SoundTraxx) is setup CV198=6, CV193=2, CV194=11.  When step one is selected with the throttle the Automatic Bell and Automatic Whistle works. When step three is selected with the throttle the Automatic Bell shuts off. When step one is selected with the throttle the Automatic Whistle works. Forward step one is selected with the throttle the Automatic Whistle sounds two long whistles and when stopped one short whistle. Reverse step one is selected with the throttle the Automatic Whistle sounds three short whistles and when stopped one short whistle.   

CV198=4 Automatic - Bell
CV198=2 Automatic - Whistle
CV198=6 Automatic - bell and Whistle
CV193-() Bell Start range anywhere between 1 and 126. CV193 must be lower than CV194.
CV194-() Bell off set point time must be higher than CV193.

Desert Rose

I never used the Automatic Grade Crossing with the Sound Value Decoder; this function is part of the Tsunami Digital Sound Decoder and may not be included with the Sound Value Decoder (SoundTraxx). I would start with this setup CV198=7, CV193=2, CV194=11, CV195=5.

CV198=1 Automatic - Grade Crossing
CV198=4 Automatic - Bell
CV198=2 Automatic - Whistle
CV198=6 Automatic - bell and Whistle
CV198=7 Automatic – bell, Whistle and Grade Crossing
CV193-() Bell Start range anywhere between 1 and 126. CV193 must be lower than CV194.
CV194-() Bell off set point time must be higher than CV193.
CV195=5 Grade-Crossing Airhorn Sensitivity

The fallowing information can be found in the Tsunami Diesel Sound User's Guide, Miscellaneous Features
Page 53  Rev.D 3/3/2015

https://soundtraxx.com/content/Reference/Manuals/Tsunami/usersguide_diesel.pdf

NOTE: The Sound value decoder CVs can be quickly reset to their factory default values using the following procedure.
1. Place the locomotive on a powered section of track. Program CV 30 to 2 OR CV 8 to 8 using either Service
   Mode or Operations Mode.
2. Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and then back on.
3. After power is restored to the track, there should be no indication of activity other than the power LED
   turning on for a period of 6 seconds. If sound comes on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did
   not reset. Repeat steps 1 and 2. (Bachmann Sound Value decoders do not have a power LED).
4. Once the 6-second period has elapsed, the sound should come on and the headlight, backup light will blink 16
   times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset.
5. Tsunami sound value decoder should now respond to short address 3 just as it did when it was new.

Joe D

Benjamen.
Thank you so much for the quick response.  Your advice is much appreciated and I will give it a try.

before I do although this is a sound value dcc from Bachmann this is not a tsunami decoder.  They used a TCS decoder with a dumbed down wow system.  It does not have the audio programming of the full tcs decoder.  So I would have to set the cv's as you suggest the usual way.  Would you know if the cv's are the same on this decoder?

I was able to find the extended CV's on this decoder on Bacmann's web site, but the CV's you listed are not there.  Are These standard CV's

Thanks in advance
Joe D

Desert Rose

Personally I removed the TCS decoder and installed the SoundTraxx Tsunami2 TSU-BH1 2 Amp Digital Sound Disel, full function drop-in decoder replacement for the TCS sound value.

Joe D

Ok thanks for your help.  I wrote to Bachmann tech support to see if they could help.  I did find the file in JMRI decoder pro under the tcs folder, but Bachmann does nor recommend using the computer to change cv's....so I'll wait to see if tech support answers my email.  Appreciate all the info you passed. Thx

Yard Master

Hi Joe,

You can find the TCS documentation for the Sound Value GP35 here: https://docs.tcsdcc.com/wiki/Bachmann_Sound_Value_GP35_-_HO