News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas and DCC

Started by SmokeyNSteamer, January 02, 2008, 06:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeyNSteamer

I just had an interesting idea--what if we could add DCC/sound to the TTTE line?  Each DCC decoder/sound card will come equipped with each engine's distinctive whistle sound and appropriate chuff sounds (low-pitched for Gordon, high-pitched for Percy, for example).  Maybe, if possible, we could equip the card with a few lines of dialogue from Ringo Starr (or whoever is narrating now---I forget) in lieu of the "Bell" function (bells are only used on US locomotives BTW). 

DCC won't skyrocket the price THAT much, but it goes well beyond the expectations of the fans, considering that the series was originally made in 1984, before DCC ever existed!

StanierJack

Quote from: SmokeyNSteamer on January 02, 2008, 06:11:06 AM
I just had an interesting idea--what if we could add DCC/sound to the TTTE line?  Each DCC decoder/sound card will come equipped with each engine's distinctive whistle sound and appropriate chuff sounds (low-pitched for Gordon, high-pitched for Percy, for example).  Maybe, if possible, we could equip the card with a few lines of dialogue from Ringo Starr (or whoever is narrating now---I forget) in lieu of the "Bell" function (bells are only used on US locomotives BTW). 

DCC won't skyrocket the price THAT much, but it goes well beyond the expectations of the fans, considering that the series was originally made in 1984, before DCC ever existed!

DCC did exist. Look up Hornby's Zero-1 system.

Sound would be good. You would have pierce brosnan saying the catchphrases. The bell function would have no purpose, eexcept for toby, where the engine would not have a whistle. Good Idea, I know I would buy it.

DreamFiend_633

I plan to add DCC myself when I finally get my train set up and running.

The Chaz Storm

Back at the hobby store where I ordered my light up Bachmann Thomas engines, they also had the same engines available with DCC installed in them too.   

ThomasFan247

chaz did u  order them from trainbuddy??????? cos if u did u mite want 2 get a refund cos i have a dcc thomas w/lites and the pinstripes came of and part of the 1. only cos kim (the man who makes them)  uses old models. the dcc wires fell apart wen i had 4 only bout a week!!!

Jake

I don't normally post here, but I think I'll give a little input.

Quote from: SmokeyNSteamer on January 02, 2008, 06:11:06 AM

DCC and sound? Yes it would. Bachmann would have to use a Micro Tsunami Decoder, which go for $139.95. Not to mention, since a custom one would have to be made, that would go up to about $175. And the extra wiring would probably add another $4 or so.

So... A DCC and sound equipped Thomas...
$37.50 for the Loco
$175.00
+$4.00 for extra wiring
$215.50, and that is without the extra needed for profit added.

So, yeah, it would raise the price THAT much.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but...
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Guilford Guy

You could install a loksound decoder, and buy the programming kit etc, and program Thomas' chuff, whistle, and voices...
Alex

max (uk)

Do any of the Thomas engines come DCC ready? (with sockets) as i have a Bachmann UK junior loco thats DCC ready, and that uses Thomases chassis.

StanierJack

Quote from: max (uk) on January 05, 2008, 08:26:04 AM
Do any of the Thomas engines come DCC ready? (with sockets) as i have a Bachmann UK junior loco thats DCC ready, and that uses Thomases chassis.

None of the range come DCC ready, yet Bachmann's Underground Ernie does!

max (uk)

Cool, might have to by bakerloo after all. :P

alex wittman

the easy DCC is on DC track is that you can buy special switches that insulates the siding so one engine cant move unless you move the points to the other siding