News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

38 Ton Axle Gears

Started by TrailsideGguy, March 27, 2023, 07:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrailsideGguy

Are replacement parts for 38 ton shay axle gears or axles available from Bachmann? Through the kindness of a fellow shay owner I was able to get my shay running again. However, three of the four original axle gears have come apart and need replacing.

Stokerman

Best bet I think is to buy the replacement trucks if you can find them. I don't think that Bachmann sells the individual gears or truck parts, but only the whole replacement sets. Just curious, are you actually talking about the 38 ton Shay that did come with the upgraded trucks, or are you really referring to the 36 ton Shay that has the earlier failure prone trucks. If you really are talking about the 38 ton model, that is rather concerning that the upgraded trucks are now failing as well?!?!
Are we having fun yet???

TrailsideGguy

The 38 ton shay I have might be the older model (I didn't purchase it but inherited it). The gearboxes are plastic as are all the gears. From all the posts I've read these plastic parts were prone to breaking very easily. However, I've been able to completely rebuild the trucks with new and used parts except for the axle gears. I was hoping Bachmann sold the axle, axle gear and bearings together with the wheels as a replacement part. I only really need the axle gear but was willing to purchase the entire axle just so I could get the shay up and running.

Stokerman

Sure sounds like you are dealing with the older 36 ton Shay, and while Bachmann does currently have in stock and for sale one of the combo gears for inside the truck gear box, I'm certain it is intended for the 38 ton Shay, and thus will probably not work for the 36 ton model.
Are we having fun yet???

Stokerman

Agreed, and I've not seen a better price in a long time!

Seller doesn't have a perfect feedback score though, so you may want to consider that factor before you purchase?!?!
Are we having fun yet???

mickeykelley

I just grabbed that one but there were 3 or 4 all within $2

TrailsideGguy

Stokerman - What I have is indeed the 36 ton shay (I misread the material that came with it). Apparently though the 38 ton truck parts are interchangeable. Before I ran into the axle gear issue I purchased 38 ton truck parts from Bachmann that fit (e.g. the old style pickup roller set and truck frame parts).

mickeykelly - You are also correct to grab the trucks on eBay and be done with it. However, though it's a great price for two trucks, I was hoping to go a cheaper route and purchase the axles. But, I don't think that's going to happen. Even eBay doesn't have shay truck parts, just the trucks as you've mentioned.

mickeykelley

That's why I said just buy it and be done. I didn't go into the full details like no one sells parts except Bachmann and they only have certain parts that they do with the original release and not a lot from what I gather. When they are gone, they are gone never to be back. Except some profitable, read high dollar, parts they can sell because they sold enough problem units that people are still trying to deal with, like you now. That explains why they still sell the trucks. In fact they got more in sometime last year.  So some of us buy non running units on eBay to strip for parts, but that's even getting expensive.  A couple years ago you could find these 38 ton Shays for couple hundred bucks.  Not now.    It's like working on a 50's or 60's vehicle. You have to chase parts as they ain't making fenders for a '55 Willys Wagon anymore. You gotta search for it and get what you get. That example is a real one I'm going thru right now. And these Shays came out in the later 90's so in todays world that's a model T.