News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Eddystone Locomotive Company

Started by Chris R, February 18, 2007, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris R

I Found this website and was wondering about their work.

http://www.eddystonelocomotives.com/index.htm

Does anyone have any information on them?  Are their models "better than brass"?  I would like to be sure about them before considering to buy from them.
-Chris R

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ddellacca

Click on "Products".

Then click on the descriptive line below the picture you are interested in.

Several of the pages you will be taken to will have prices somewhere on
the page, mostly towards the bottom.

And yes, they are expensive, mostly with a base of $700 and with options
could be as much as $925.

Dick

lanny

Chris,

I have used Eddystone for one project. I purchased a Pennsy 2-10-0 Bowser kit on ebay at a very good price. But when I received it, I got scared ... I love to build models, but the drivers, gearing, etc. were more than I wanted to tackle, having never done that kind of model building before.

I had Dave at Eddystone build the Boswer chassis and put a Helix Humper motor in it. He is a consumate craftsman and the whole thing (which has been isolated in case I ever want to go DCC) runs very quietly and like a clock. I'm very impressed with his workmanship.

Now I am having fun doing the detailing and super detailing of the boiler and tender, not worrying if the thing will run when finished. I felt the price charged for putting it together with the Helix Humper and with a painted frame and drivers, etc. was reasonable.

Only problem is, I did that before I made my final decision to go 'only ICRR' ... so, I will have a really great running Pennsy Decapod, that is totally out of place on my layout ... but, for reasons I have no logical way to explain, it will run with my ICRR 2-10-2 pulling some really long coal drags!  :-)  (leased power in the late 40s? :-)

Eddystone is a totally honest, class act guy that does a terrific job, keeps in close contact and answers questions. I am not surpised at the prices of his 'built to order', 'one of a kind' locomotives. If you are thinking of having that done, have plenty of photos and reference material for what you want built. He is great to deal with if you decide to spend the money.

Summary ... you can trust him as being totally honest and a real quality craftsman.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler