News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to HO - track question

Started by NerdlyNate, March 30, 2023, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NerdlyNate

Hello all, new to the hobby, just got the Bachmann Thunder Chief set. My question is when I add more track, is it better to use the EZ track sets/pieces, or use the flextrack, or even a different brand of HO track to create a layout?

Thanks!

Terry Toenges

You can use whatever track you want. If you use flex track, you just have to put something under it to bring to the height of the E-Z Track. If you use another brand of track with roadbed attached, you can get adapter pieces to connect different brands of track. You might have to break off the plastic E-Z Track connector.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

WHat type of track you use is a personal preference. Many prefer flexible track over the rigid geometry of setional track like EZ Track. Some, like me, actually prefer to built our own from rails and wooden ties. Use  whatever meets your needs.

The biggest thing to remember is to not run bigger trains than you curves can handle, and to use bigger radius curves if you want to use larger locomotives and cars.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

The problem with EZ track is that its overall height is slightly more than other brands track installed on cork roadbed.  Some say it's an easy problem to solve, but I've never had particularly good luck intersecting EZ track with Atlas track on cork road bed.  Shim as you may, it just never seems to align perfectly and can present a place for derailment or uncoupling.  And I'm not new at this game either, so a beginner may have a tough time.

Len

Rather than shim the track on cork, I taper the roadbed of the connecting EZ-Track by running it across a sheet of 1,000 grit sandpaper on a flat surface until it matches the cork height.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

scott7891

To remove headache it is best to pick a track and stick with it.  With EZ track you are better off sticking with it but know the limitations.  EZ track switches require work to get right so be prepared for this.  Make sure your layout is in an area where there is little to no humidity and the temperature remains constant.  I use EZ track for my programming track and the room it is in has vast differences in temperature that causes the ends to buckle creating dips and rises between joiners that can and has caused issue on some of my locomotives.

If you want the most flexibility then choose flex track with cork roadbed, it is tried and true.
If that is too tedious and you want to choose roadbed track then KATO is your best bet.  It is expensive but you get what you pay for.

Len

The only problem with Kato track in HO is the limited number of different pieces. There's nowhere near the variety of pieces available to N scale Kato track users.

Len

scott7891

Quote from: Len on April 02, 2023, 02:23:28 PMThe only problem with Kato track in HO is the limited number of different pieces. There's nowhere near the variety of pieces available to N scale Kato track users.

Len

I agree that is why I use flex/cork but some are afraid or not experienced enough to cut in to flex so if they are insistent on plastic roadbed track then KATO will be their best option for quality and reliability. 

Len

I've had pretty good luck with someone else's Code 83 roadbed track. And the track is removable from the roadbed if you decide to switch to cork later on.

Len