News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout pics! finally...

Started by kevin2083, January 02, 2008, 11:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2083

I finally got around to getting some pictures of my layout. Camera is a Cannon Power Shot A85 (not mine of coarse, my dad's). Some with flash, some without. So, here they are. Please criticize, nitpick, compliment, or do whatever you want to them. Enjoy!

first up- an overview of the town of "Camino"

then, the town of Placerville (eventually). If you have any suggestions for this town, I would love to hear them. That round thing is the pit to a walthers 90' turntable, and the thing sticking out in the aisle is the station and parking lot.

scrap yard

Recently repainted CPLT 102. It's not quite done yet- the steps need to be moved and it needs some roof details like strobe lights and another horn.

102 leaving with a short work train

102 passing the 'headquarters' (trailer). note the Gremlin on blocks.

I don't think I need to title this one

from the station looking east

here's that work train

102 again

paint shop image of what 102 should look like

Camino Lumber Co. looking west

work train, again. the whole thing this time

construction site behind a business that I have no name for.

and the beginning of a caboose to go with that shay.

hope you enjoyed today's edition of - whatever this is...
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

RAM

In picture #1.  By the water tower.  I think I would put a switch in with a short siding, two cars,
parallel to the main line.  This would be for a fuel oil dealer.  Have some tanks for storage, and a
small building for storing motor oil. As well as a small office.  Spot tank cars for gasoline
unloading at the tanks and a box car for unloading motor oil.  Looks like you will have a nice layout, and alot of enjoyment.

SteamGene

What is the era?
Merry Ninth Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

Quote from: SteamGene on January 02, 2008, 03:53:45 PM
What is the era?
Merry Ninth Day of Christmas
Gene

simple answer: no idea

The newest car has a build date of 6-84, so I guess that's the earliest it could be set. I've really just been trying to run what I can, which is why I have a shay switching 50' DD boxcars.

As I was taking pictures, the decoder suddenly shorted on the 44 tonner. Hooray.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

rogertra

The era is always decided by the newest item on the model railroad.

If you have a railroad that's 100% steam and have a 2007 Crown Victoria Police car then the railroad is set in 2007.

It's impossible not to be anything else.  That's why saying a layout is set in the "So & so era" is not possible as any model of the newest item defines in what year the layout is set.

SteamGene

I agree with Roger.  The VT&P is set in late summer/early fall 1957 because the first automobile model I bought was a 1958 Chevy.  You can see it in the showroom of the car dealership.  It was only later that the date matched the story line of my books.  :o  Now I need to find some soldier figures which I can turn into 1950s military school cadets. 
Merry Ninth Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

MC

kevin2083

If I had done some research BEFORE I started buying stuff, I would have the layout set in 1955, when the RR had 2 shays and a 44 tonner, and the most business.
So, I guess it's set in modern times since I have a GP-60M, a H2 Hummer,  and '01 mustangs on the layout. The real CPLT went out of business in 1986, and the 'Rails to Trails' program has taken over (not much to model there). I'll call it freelancing with a real RR name.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

kevin2083

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

MC

Thanks. I was able to view them from that link. I have noticed several people that have posted pictures. Is there a way to view them from this board?
MC

kevin2083

Just a guess here, but maybe your computer security settings are too high.

Quote from: RAM on January 02, 2008, 03:33:32 PM
In picture #1.  By the water tower.  I think I would put a switch in with a short siding, two cars,
parallel to the main line.  This would be for a fuel oil dealer.  Have some tanks for storage, and a
small building for storing motor oil. As well as a small office.  Spot tank cars for gasoline
unloading at the tanks and a box car for unloading motor oil.  Looks like you will have a nice layout, and alot of enjoyment.
I was thinking about something like that with where that white covered hopper is in the first picture. I haven't been able to get to my trains for the last 3 days, and probably for another 4 (which is KILLING ME) due to surgery, but that will most likely be what will happen to that area.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

The Old Man

brad

Nice work,

One small suggestion, take it or leave it. I would leave the turntable off and put a small stub ended yard in it's place. It looks out of place without an engine facility, and it really overpowers that end of the railroad as far as a focal point.  I really like the shot looking down the track along the UP plug door car.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Paul M.

It all looks good, but i have a suggestion:

You should weather everything in the crapyard. If you drybrush it should look good enough.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Terry Toenges

Without the turntable, he would need a wye to turn the locos and that would take up more real estate.
I agree that shot along the track looks real good.
Feel like a Mogul.