STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2022, 03:41:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Bachmann Harvey Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bachmann Harvey Thread  (Read 1590 times)
GordonPacific04

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2021, 10:34:35 PM »

I will start off by saying that many fans are hoping for an announcement of Stepney the Bluebell Engine. I am as well, however there has been some debate on if he is even possible or not. What's said about Stepney has been said. However I am also wanting a character that I know will be more than possible.

Harvey.

Harvey is the last Character to be in both the Classic Series (As in Series 1-7) and the CGI series. Harvey has also appeared decently in the CGI series, roles as both a main character, or just a background character.

Let me bring up the first point of concern. Breaching the NMRA standards. I'll cover this by saying Harvey will most definitely be based on his CGI render. And in pictures, Harvey's Model in Series 6-12 is actually quite large. However, in CGI he has been scaled down slightly, as seen in a most singular engine next to Daisy. The Smaller scale is actually more accurate to his basis. (I'll make a bold statement and say that Harvey is one of the few characters who I prefer the CGI look of over the model.) His crane arm slightly towers over engines still, however Bachmann could totally make it work.

The next thing I want to talk about is the Moving eye mechanism (MEM). I know the MEM is a big selling factor for the HO engines. Personally, I hate it. This could honestly be a thread on it's own, but the MEM has caused problems in design for characters like Spencer and Paxton. I really don't want to have to happen to Harvey. The engine part of his model will be small enough as is. I know this is a long shot, but I feel Bachmann should Ditch the MEM all together in future models. They seem to be more trouble then they're worth in my opinion.

The crane arm, is something I want to say would compensate for the lack of a MEM. It would be hard to fit some sort of string mechanic into Harvey, maybe something similar to Cranky, but it would still be nice to see.

Last thing I want to talk about is the coupling system. Harvey has unique square wooden buffers that frankly take up a lot of space. For the standard Hook and loops that Bachmann uses on almost all Thomas products, either the hole would probably have to cut into the buffers would have to cut into the buffers, or you would have to shrink the size of the buffers. I'm not a fan of either of those options, so another would be to use the smaller ones used on the Bachmann toad.

That's all I have for now. Please leave any feedback, either positive or negative, to what I had to say.

(PS I also wanted to add pictures to this, but was having trouble)

GordonPacific04

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 11:37:48 PM »

Something I also feel like I should point out: there are actually four engines who have appeared in both the model series and the CGI series.

Harvey
Diesel 10
Whiff
And Stanley

This is also the order Iíd be most excited for.
RailwayRoundhouse

Always happy to talk trains :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 12:10:44 PM »

While I'm more of a fan of characters and stories from Series 1 to Series 5, I would honestly buy a model of Harvey in a heartbeat. Not only because he's a fun character with a nice personality and a cool maroon livery, but because the concept of an engine with a working crane arm is so interesting. I've seen the real life engine Harvey's based upon at work in the UK and it is quite impressive. I imagine many other railway modellers would want to buy this model so they'd be able to modify it to resemble Harvey's Real life Counterpart, same as what they do with the Skarloey Railway Engines. Ultimately it's up to Bachmann when it comes to deciding who and what gets made. But in my honest opinion, Harvey the Crane Engine is a character that would generate a lot of interest and very good sales if he were made into a model.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 05:21:56 PM »

I agree. I know I would just buy a Bachmann Harvey!:)
Ronniethe14xxx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 05:27:37 PM »

Wouldn't Harvey be too big for NMRA guideline like Diesel 10 and the other cranes are? I've heard that tossed around a few times. Don't know if those same guidelines exist for N scale so he could be a good option there
GordonPacific04

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 12:19:39 PM »

Wouldn't Harvey be too big for NMRA guideline like Diesel 10 and the other cranes are? I've heard that tossed around a few times. Don't know if those same guidelines exist for N scale so he could be a good option there

This is honestly the biggest hurdle to jump over. I'm not sure what the dimensions would be, but there's a possibility that the crane arm might have to be a little misshapen, or even shrunk down a bit.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 03:52:02 PM »

I feel like in addition to the NMRA standard the biggest issue with Harvey would be his pricing.  It would be really cool to see him with a moveable arm and a chain hook but if the Ryan model is anything to go off of it would likely be a very expensive model. 

Itís a shame because in theory it Bachmannís track record is anything to go off of, Harvey would be the perfect candidate for Bachmann being a character from the classic series who was also prominent in the CGI series.  Itís just again, his crane arm and overall design would likely make the model too expensive which is why I would imagine Bachmannís hesitant to introduce him. 
Armada Starscream

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 05:57:50 PM »

Here's a thought.

I think someone had suggested that if Bachmann makes a Harvey or Diesel 10, then they would have the hook and claw removable, so it can be both removed for NMRA standards and attached for accuracy. Win-win.
Ronniethe14xxx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 03:45:47 PM »

Here's a thought.

I think someone had suggested that if Bachmann makes a Harvey or Diesel 10, then they would have the hook and claw removable, so it can be both removed for NMRA standards and attached for accuracy. Win-win.

While they can in theory do that, seems like a lot of extra work and design they might not want to put into it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: