News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

three truck shay and climax gear problems

Started by 3truckshay, January 02, 2008, 12:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3truckshay

Hi all! I'm new here so please forgive me if I rehash a subject that has already been covered.
I have three shays and two climax engines. The shays might be two years old and the climax about a year old. None of these engines have more than 10 hours on them. I have aproblen with the tiny bevel ears cracking and either falling off the drive shaft or just spinning but not actually driving the wheel.
The climax has a cracked driveshaft coupling at the gear box.
Any thoughts? Can repair gears be purchased?

I have a similar problem with three LifeLike diesels. The plastic gears actually attach to the wheel axels and keep the wheels in gage as well as drive the wheels. I kept having gage problems and after I doug in, I found out why. Maybe it is the air here in eastern Pa.

Jim

GN.2-6-8-0

Best bet is to call the service dept. at 215-533-1600 and ask for Bridget the service manager and explain the perticulars to her.
Rocky Lives

WoundedBear

I sent a Climax in a while back for the same problem.......I was told they had no parts and since it was out of production now, they would replace with another loco. The only real choice was the Shay.

I have also had the Shay's crack a couple gears. I have one now that I CA'd and it's successfully holding the shaft. Luckily they still have parts for the Shays.

Sid