Are the Bachmann shells GP30, FT-A swappable with the GP7 chassis?

Started by Ralph S, April 15, 2023, 03:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

I've asked this question before, but didn't seem to get a clear answer. 
So this time I've found a Bachmann GP30 (DC, analog) that I could purchase, but want to determine if I can replace that shell and place it on the GP7 (DCC + sound) before I put down any money on it. 

If that doesn't work then would the GP30 shell be swappable with the FT-A (DCC) chassis?

I don't have the GP30 yet, and don't want to purchase it until I can determine if a DCC chassis is compatible and will fit on either the GP7 or FT-A chassis.

I'm open to other suggestions, and any ideas.  But basically, trying to keep within my existing locomotives without moving to purchasing entire new locos. 

Len

If the GP30 has a can motor you should be able to add DCC & sound by swapping out the light board with a Soundtraxx TSU-PNP8 sound decoder and 810113 oval speaker.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ralph S

Thanks for responding, Okay, maybe I wasn't clear.  I want to use the GP30 shell and put it on the GP7 chassis or the FT-A chassis.  The GP7 chassis already has DCC and sound.  The GP30 chassis is DC and I will either put the GP7 shell on it and give it away or sell it.  and
if that doesn't work, I'd be interested in swapping out the FT-A (DCC) shell and put the GP30 chassis in it. Remember the GP30 chassis is DC, the other two are DCC.

So basically, I'm asking does anyone have knowledge of these Bachmann chassis', will the shell of the GP30 be compatible with the chassis of the GP7 and/or FT-A chassis?

bapguy

No. The chasis for the FT-A is wider then the other 2. The GP30 is a split frame and had a triangle shape at the end. The GP7/9 frame is atraight across at the end.    Joe

jward

I realize this isn't what you asked, but shell swaps are possible with all 3 of the models you mentioned. They just can't be swapped with each other.

For the record, and in case anybody else has similar questions, here are the swaps possible with minimal if any modifications.

FTa chassis will also fit FTb, F7 and F9.

GP7 chassis will also fit GP9.

GP30 chassis will also fit GP35.

GP40, GP38-2 and GP50 use the same chassis.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

From what Jeff says, if you really want a DCC w/sound GP30 you need to take a serious look at the Soundtraxx TSU-PNP8 sound decoder and 810113 oval speaker.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ralph S

Well, this saves me some money.   I really like the GP30 demo, but since from what JW states are swappable shells.  I'll have to save up some more money and maybe find that GP30 Demo with installed DCC.

I'm still in the design phase of installing a decoder in a ballast vehicle.  But for locomotives, I'll either buy it already installed, since swapping shells seems to be out of the question.

Thanks for responding, I will not be buying that GP30 Demo (DC powered) with the information you all provided.

Ralph S

Update:

Alast, without a workshop bench (from another topic), I have procured the Bachmann GP30 EMD with DCC on board.  Such a pretty engine.  I'll keep the Boston & Maine GP7 that has DCC and Sound.  As for the Santa Fe  FT-a, ...well, it'll go to my train museum only to run on special occasions.

Thanks for informing me of the complications of shell swapping.  I grew up thinking that all the chassis's of model locomotives were the same underneath, and all one needed to do is change the shell to modernize ones fleet.  I also thought it was only the steam locos that had to be replaced in their entirety in order to expand ones fleet.

I can now state I'm more knowledgeable on the subject of shell swapping.... Not an expert, but a more knowledgeable novice.

jward

All the better made locomotive have chassis that are laid out the same. SO there should be some common parts within a particular brand. But if you understand the evolution of the diesel locomotive you'll understand why a universal chassis is impossible.

The first diesels low powered yard switchers, Then came streamlined passenger units that were mechanically two yard units on one frame and geared for high speed running. Freight units soon followed that used a larger engine tthat was general about one and a half times as powerful as those used in the switchers. The freight and passenger units used full width bodies, while the switchers originated the narrow hood with outside walkways. The freight units soon evolved into the road switcher, which packed the power of the freight units into a narrow hood with walkways similar to the switchers. The railroads quickly embraced this new type of locomotive, and 75 years later it is still the standard. But as locomotive designs got more powerful, the roadswitcher frames grew in length to accommodate the larger equipment needed to power them. A modern SD70ACe is three times as powerful as a GP7, for example, and almost twice as long.

WHat does that mean to the modeller? Simply put, the chassis of the full width diesels like the FT will not fit any of the switcher or road switcher types. And while there is some interchangeability among locomotives built in a particular era due to the builders standardization of parts, models of these locomotives will reflect the ever increasing length of their prototypes. Also, as a general rule this interchangeability of chassis only exists among locomotives from the same builder. That is, a GP7, GP9, GP18 or GP20 will have the same chassis, but it will not fit an Alco RS3 or RS11. Note that this incompatibility applies to chassis only. Motors and other parts will often fit many different models. I have, for example, put RS3 trucks under a GP35.

As always, when in doubt ask. Somebody here has probably attempted what you are trying to do, and can offer insight into how to accomplish what you desire.

BTW glad to hear you found a workable solution.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA