News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"Large-Scale-Evans-Boxcars "

Started by doug c, April 20, 2023, 06:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug c

No mention in their online features listing,  so presume manufacturers' design group were unable to feasibly or economically design the model with opening doors  !?

Have any of the manufacturers of a 'plug-style'door rolling stock unit, ever been successful ? 

Doug
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Greg Elmassian

They are using the old Aristo molds as is (molds are expensive)
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

doug c

So just solid well-detailed (representation/side )doors, within B'mann latest rollout of the (Aristo', "Evans-Boxcars" model ?!

Loco Bill Canelos

Doug,

Some of the models from other manufacturers do have operating doors for the longer cars.  Nonetheless it is good to see Bachmann reissuing the Aristo cars for the modern era fans. As you know many of the Aristo cars do have opening doors in fact the Evans Cars might be the only ones with non operating doors.  Can anyone confirm that??  Because my son is a big G scale fan of diesel era models, I have caught the bug as well, but for the early diesel era. 

Take care, Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

Absolutely, and operating doors are not really a big deal in my book, when they work open, bugs and critters can get inside.

You will notice that modelling this type of door would be a significant and expensive challenge as opposed to the much simpler sliding doors of earlier prototypes.

Yes, as far as I remember, only the Evans has non-operating doors. It was one of the very few new pieces of rolling stock from Aristo in their last years, mostly focused on locos like the Consolidation...

doug c

Thanks Greg .

Late last night, it finally came to mind that, .... don't I have an original Aristo' Evans ?

So down I went .... And yes it was 'hiding' back within the northern depot railyard,  my CN 283000 (also the box was underneath, CART555004 which meant it was a special run via H'C'Canada... possibly one of the 'sample' units, unsanctioned by Lewis back-in-the-day) !

With well-detailed 'solid' side walls. 

Doug

p.s.
Bill, FYI the Aristo' DD 40' steel box cars, open wide !

ex. eight-USN acq'd back when Lewis had a clearance sale of the special military run (factory-installed shiny metal wheels) also with the 'new' open roof walks.   Personally went for them, as they had the least amount of decals to remove, in future 'rwy aquisition' projects in the g-gauge world    ;-)

Greg Elmassian

Like I said, the other Aristo box cars all seem to have opening doors.

The USAT reefers have the flush doors with the offset opening bars with the pivoting lugs...

i have not checked if they have an operating plug door model.

Greg