Bachmann On30 Track Cleaning Car still a mystery - Help, Bach-man!

Started by RRPETE, January 02, 2008, 01:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRPETE

Where can I find some information about this product? I've seen it in magazines, but can't find anything about it on the site.

Thanks.

ebtnut

Pete:  You can use virtually any track-cleaning car designed for HO track.  There are a number of them out there.  Note--if you want a car that would fit in with an On30 train, you have a couple of choices--look for one that is adapted from an On30 piece of rolling stock (which is maybe what you are referring to?) or make your own.  The easy route is as follows:  Get an inexpensive On30 box car (like Bachmann).  Then cut a small rectangle of Masonite that will fit easily between the car trucks and is wide enough to cover the rails with some overhang.  Glue a couple of 6 penny nails to the smooth side of the Masonite, parallel to the track.  Drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the car so that the nails will pass through easily, but without much slop.  Set the car with the Masonite pad down on the track, and start running it.  The rough side of the Masonite will clean your track on a continuing basis--the more you run it, the better.  Long periods of inactivity on the RR will cause oxide build-up, which is better treated with something Rail-Zip. 

RRPETE

Thanks for the info, but I'm referrring to the Bachmann On30 Track Cleaning Car, which has been shown in a couple of magazines in the last few weeks, but there isn't any information about it on the Bachmann web site.

I was hoping the Bach Man has some info...

C.S.R.R. Manager

I saw the photo of this product in the News & Products section of the Jan 2008 Model Railroader.  It looks like an after-market product, where a different company buys the Bachmann boxcars and installs a DCC-operated cleaner.  The entry in MR seems to state that the company is "Many New Products," but that might be a typo.  You might want to contact MR.

RRPETE

Thanks. That's one of the places I saw it, too. Google finds the company via a telephone number search, but the link from there to the web site doesn't work, so it's still a mystery. ???

the Bach-man

Dear Pete,
It is indeed an after market car, one of a few I've seen.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

bwreno

Dear Pete,

Try MNP Inc. of Newport News, VA.  Part No.:  517-8100.  MNP is 'Matthew N. Poissant'

bob

OldStone

If you want to see one of these...in a Bachmann On30 boxcar...go to the "King of Green Boxes", John Weigel (Peterboro RR) at one of the shows such as Timonium, Upper Marlboro, et al.

Ken

RRPETE

AZTEC also makes a track cleaning car
  http:www,aztectrains.com/pages/Track Clean-GOS.html

Ken
    GWN

OldStone

The one I looked at (in John Weigel's Peterboro RR booth at the last show) had two vertically-mounted motors in the box car, each with a shaft going through the floor to spin a dime-size pad below.   They were located between the trucks, one (at the front) to clean the right track while the other (at the rear) does the left.  The easily-replaced pads seem to be a hard felt and are supposed to be used dry.  As I recall, the "street price" is somewhere around $100.  The car is quite heavy.  Depending, of course, on the unknown friction the pads create, I'm guessing that my Climax might pull it up a 3% grade but suspect my Mogul wouldn't.  Hope this is helpful.

OldStone,  O & W RR

br549

I purchased a replacement craytex pad for a Walthers HO track cleaning car and mounted it under one of my rolling stock.
Works great especaily for the low cost.
When that wears out I'll use masonite as fore mentioned,  Low tech & even cheaper.
Money saved for a 4-4-0  ;)

riny

Aztec does sell a ready made On30 track cleaning car, but is at about $125 +

http://www.aztectrains.com/on30trackcleaners.html

Bachmann's HO tank car for cleaning track (I got one for $20) can, without modifications, be used with On30. HO couplers line-up with On30 couplers. Or, get the Walthers HO cleaning car -- it too should be usable with On30. Of course, I only use it while cleaning track since the smaller scale looks weird coupled with an On30 train.

Also, I called the service dept. at Bachmann and they repeated that they do not sell replacement pads, but that they would replace the pad (well worn) if the car can be gotten to them. (Not too much help to anyone not living in the Philadelphia area.) But I find that cleaning the pad regularly with a scrub-sponge wet but without soap keeps it clean & usable.

BIG BEAR

Hey Guys,

Talk about resurrecting the past. The original post is almost 4 years old. Well I think I will finally answer it. These work great, I own one, very smooth I do not use the sand paper as I feel this will scratch too deeply I do however use the felt pads dry. I clean them and re-use them but they are about worn and I need to order replacements.
  Thanks for the reminder and making me dig up the web site Here it is:

http://www.mnpinc.com/on30.htm
Enjoy,
  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.