Question Regarding EZ Command Wiring

Started by ferroequinologist, April 24, 2023, 03:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferroequinologist

Hello,
As I may have mentioned before in a prior post, I'm planning on expanding my HO Unitrack layout and running trains with the EZ Command DCC Controller, and as my layout will have two reversing loops, I've also purchased two EZ Command Auto Reversing Modules. I figure on wiring the modules in much the same way as the dogbone configuration, though I'll be using feeders instead of a single terminal track, but I was wondering if connecting the EZ Command Controller to a terminal strip (for other accessories) would have any impact on the reversing loops/modules themselves.

Ed Rosado

Trying to find an answer from Bachmann users or Bachmann technical support team.
I am converting my system from plug and play to a buss and feeder system using my Bachman track. Have soldered and dropped feeders and made the buss connections. The track has 21 turnouts with disconnected green wires. After making all connections with suitcase connectors I cannot get enough voltage. Rechecked the connections and all are strong. Thought the disconnected green turnout wires are drawing the voltage but don't register any power from them. I'm reticent to completely severe the turnout wires from the turnout track and not sure it will matter. Any ideas?

Ralph S

This info you are about to encounter may not help your direct question(s), but it may help you re- think how you use EZ command track power and accessory power.

When I moved all of my power systems over to DCC, I had issues with all of the non-DCC track turnouts operating as I would expect.  I decided not to invest the time to determine why the non-DCC Bachmann tracks sometimes worked and sometime not work.  I decided to separate the track power totally from the turnout power and any accessories attached.  This means that only the EZ command controller powers only the track and the DCC track turnouts.  All of my non-DCC turnouts and accessories are on a separate power supply.  This solved my intermittent turnout problems, and I haven't needed to add a power booster for running 3 trains.  Bachmann, I believe, only recommends 2 trains on one EZ command controller.  Mine you, my layout was 8 x12.  I'm expanding that layout currently to a 14 x 20 where I expect that a bus feeder and the power booster will be needed. 

Hopefully this might provide some rethinking on your power expectations.