New Engine won't run - did I make a mistake

Started by BlaineBB, March 28, 2023, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaineBB

Hello ... My 13yo grandson has Bachmann trains and tracks (HO Scale) ... the DCC E-Z Command system.  He wanted an engine that has sounds.  We found a new Broadway Limited BlueLine engine with "Plug 'n' Play DCC Ready: Operation and Sounds with your favorite DCC decoder."  I have been preaching to my grandson that we should only/always buy Bachmann trains (not other brands) - but I relented this one time - maybe my last time.

Anyway, when we placed the BlueLine engine on the tracks, it immediately produced sounds - great!  However, the engine would not move forward or backward, regardless of which function address button (1-10) we selected.  We are new to model railroading and are lost as to what to do next.

I read in the BlueLine Operator's Manual a couple of things: (1) "This locomotive will operate on most HO transformers up to 16 volts DC.  The locomotive is ready-to-run.  To operate the whistle and bell and many other features in DC operation, you will need a DCMaster (BLI stk# 1011 or PCM stk# 1001)."  Since this engine is making sounds, I didn't think this requirement is my problem.  And (2), under the heading DCC Decoder Installation, it says "To convert your BlueLine locomotive to DCC, simply remove the body using the instructions included with your locomotive. ... Once the body shell is removed, you will see a small circuit board plugged into the top of the main sound circuit board." ... etc.  Is making changes to the sound circuit board what I need to do to get the engine to run?

Sorry for the long message, but I just am not sure what to do to make the engine run for my grandson.  Any guidance or direction you can give me would be much appreciated.  Thank you.  Blaine.  P.S. I PROMISE NOT TO BUY ANY MORE NON-BACHMANN ENGINES!

rbturner

I believe that those have a sound decoder from the factory. You have to add a DCC decoder to get them going on a DCC layout. The loco will run on an old school DC layout and have sounds.

I don't think it will ever work on your layout unless you add a decoder.
Acts 2:38

jward

Your locomotive oes not have a decoder, which is why the instructions tell how to add one. You need a decoder to run on DCC. You may be able to run it on your EZ Command using the instructions for running a DC locomotive, but I would advise against doing that for very long. Extended use of a DC locomotive on DCC can burn out the motor. If this locomotive is marketed as plug n play first you must determine which plug it has. There are 8 pin and 21 pin plugs out there. The one you have will determine which decoders you can use.

I will say that all HO trains that run on DC are compatable with your track, and if you add a decoder, with your system as well. There are certain caveats to this. Larger locomotives and cars require larger radius curves for example. I don't know which Boradway locomotive you have but I many are too large to run reliably on the 18" radius curves that come in the train sets. This is true of all HO trains regardless of brand. A Bachmann SD70ACe or EM1 is going to have trouble on those same curves even though both the locomotive and tracks are made by Bachmann.

I would suggest that, as a newcomer, you read up on the hobby either by buying one of the many books for beginners you can find in hobby shops, or using online resources aimed at people like yourself.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

scott7891

Broadway Limited BlueLine locos are 20 year old models when sound in HO locomotives were in its infancy and most modelers were still using DC.  BlueLine was a hybrid model that allowed DC users to have sound but you could add a separate DCC decoder if you wanted. 

The problem isn't with the Bachmann controller but with the model itself.  Newer Broadway Limited models as well as other manufacturers since the late 2000's have integrated DCC and Sound.

trainman203

Since you all are beginners in Model Railroading , I would suggest that you not try to do a decoder installation on your own. There are too many ways to screw up and expensive things to ruin.

There are multiple professional techs who can install everything you need to make that engine perform with DCC and sound, but you'll have to buy the decoder, speaker, possible wiring, harnesses, depending on the decoder, plus pay for the installation.  Those guys can do it turn key for you, but expect to pay at least $100 for the installation labor alone plus the material purchases which could be between 150 and $200.

There's nothing wrong with that BLI engine other than it is old school technology as the others have said, and didn't include what you thought it did to operate as you wish.

For what it's going to cost you to make that engine have sound and DCC, you could buy a Bachmann consolidation or mogul that is ready to go with current sound/DCC technology. You can sell the BLI engine on eBay, plenty of experienced model railroaders want them as is. They are fine engines in their own right and you can buy current BLI models completely equipped with DCC and sound, but of course, if the current price.

Before you buy any more engines, run your choice past the panel of experts here 😂😂😂.

jward

Trainman, it already has sound. I have 3 Broadway RSD15s like this. The decoder install is plug n play. Mine have a receptacle for an 8 pin plug. This is probably one of the easiest decoder installs around. If you can put together and wire EZ track you should be able to do this install.

I do agree that beginners should not attempt a hard wired sound decoder and speaker install. But this is not that situation.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

If the OP is up to this task then go for it.  Jeffrey, this guy is a rank beginner. I'd assume to start, but he may be apprehensive about doing this job at all, which requires a minimum removing the tender shell.

Sound without DCC is Model Railroad Jurassic period IMHO.  Blueline sound has got to be very primitive. Does it have CV's at all that you can adjust? How many whistles does it have? What if the chuff/revolution coordination is wrong?  How do you change volumes? Can you change the volume of individual sounds at all?

Maybe none of this matters to the OP.  But it would to me.

BlaineBB

My apology for not thanking everyone earlier for your suggestions.  I've been down with severe back pain and am just now recovering.  My grandson and I will use your suggestions to resolve the issue.  Thanks so much!  Blaine