I want to install a combination of 15 turnouts and crossovers

Started by sbjk2330, May 06, 2023, 08:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbjk2330

I want to install a combination of 16 turnouts and crossovers but the DCC controller only has 9 presets how do I resolve that?

bapguy

trainman203

jward

The solution is simple. Don't use DCC to control them. Use a seperate power supply and the control boxes that should come with them. You can gang as many of these together as you need. Since your DCC system obviously doesn't have the capacity to do what you want, use it for running trains only and wire all your switches in the conventional manner.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Mark61

Double them up, group turnouts together on same address that can be grouped together.

Len

If you use Digitrax DS74 (Replaces the DS64) turnout controllers you can set up 'routes' through multiple turnouts that are assisgned to one address. You can download the instructions here:
https://www.digitrax.com/media/apps/products/stationary-decoders/ds74/documents/DS74_flattened_rev.0.pdf

Configuring routes is in section 3.0.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I've paired mine up. The ones going from an inner loop to middle loop and the ones going from middle to  outer.
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

Boy that kind of stuff is definitely not my cup of tea. I control my switches the way the real railroads did back in the era that I model- manual switchstands.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/caboose-industries-ho-103r-high-level-switch-stand-with-lantern-and-targets-rigid/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Y_MmbL4_wIVd-jjBx3J5ggKEAQYASABEgKb1fD_BwE

They are not completely realistic and are a little oversized, but boy, do you feel like a switchman when you're throwing those switches, setting  out cars out along the line.

Not a problem for me since I walk around following my train with a wireless DCC cab. With switchstands, you have to do that. You can't sit like a king at the control panel dictating routing 20 or 30 feet away.  They might do that now, control switches from many miles away at the dispatching center, but not back in the days I'm interested in.  The brakeman had to jump down and do it all.