News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

double crossovers

Started by sbjk2330, May 06, 2023, 08:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbjk2330

Does Bachmann make a HO scale double crossover track?

bapguy

trainman203

I did see one for sale in a hobby shop at least 15 years ago. So Internet or eBay search might possibly find one.

Ralph S

I would love Bachmann more if they would produce the double crossover in the EZ track format.  But alas, it may not happen in my lifetime.  So, what did I do to alleviate this issue..., Checkout the image below.

The caption may be a little blurry so I'll recap here: 
These are two crossovers one by unknown and the familiar ones (3) by Bachmann EZ track 44575 and 44576.  Something to note, the Bachmann track transfers direction on a single track.  It allows space for at least one car or locomotive that the train can travel around.  The other manufacturers double crossover there is no space for a car to allow the train to travel around. 

Disadvantage of Bachmann is that it takes up more track space. Approx. 41 inches of track as compared to the approx. 19 inches of track to complete a double crossover.  The disadvantage of the other is stated above.
The Bachmann double crossover only works if there is 1 left and 1 right crossover.  The preference to which left or right is first is up to you.  Just note that 2 lefts or two right (not shown) crossovers will only get you a single crossover (see middle EZ track).

One thing I will mention is that it makes it easy to relocate train cars on a train.  Say a consist engine is not needed, it can be pulled or on its own move into that short siding and the head engine can then back cars around that engine and reconnect to the remaining cars behind that sided engine.   It's cool operations in my book.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
We make a left and right #6 single crossover.
the Bach-man

Terry Toenges

Here's one using #4 turnouts. It's not the greatest either. It has 1/3 18" curves in the middle. It's 28 1/4" long and 8 1/4" wide. Track center to center is 6 7/16" wide. 45 degree crossing
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here's one using #5 turnouts. It's not the greatest. It has 1/3 18" curves in the middle. It's 31 1/2" long and 8 1/4" wide. Track center to center is 6 7/16" wide. 45 degree crossing.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

It (#4) could be done with a 30 degree crossing but you have to do a little fudging. It would eliminate the the 1/3 18" curves in the two others. It would take the length out to 30 15/16". 30 degree crossing.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

#5 with 30° crossing. This is the only way I could figure out how to do it. It has small curves on the outer tracks. They won't be parallel coming out.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

#4 turnouts with 60° crossing.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

#5 turnout with 60° crossing.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Shinohara did #4 and #6 Code 100 double crossovers at one point. The #6 is roughly 19.25" long, the #4 is a bit shorter. You can still find them here and there on-line. Some type of roadbed/shims would be needed to bring them up to the same height as EZ-Track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

For what it's worth, You can make the double crossover you want out of Atlas CUstom Line components easily. A #4 double crossover takes up 20" with the mains on 3" centers. A #6 takes up 26" with the same 3" centers. The center crossings would be 25 and 19 degrees respectively.

Just a thought, but us old heads used to take these switches and trim the unnecessary straight track off them to get them to fit custom situations. EZ track switches have a LOT of extra track length. If you're willing to sacrifice the interlocking roadbed feature of these switches, you could trim them to fit the same 3" centers as the Atlas track, and probably get close to the dimensions I listed.

It all depends on what you'd rather do, modify your track plan to fit the component pieces, or modify the pieces to fit the track plan.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I've made a few stub turnouts out of E-Z Track ones by cutting them down.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ralph S

Oh my Bejesus!
I can't believe one would cut up, cut down, cut crossways, sideways a good EZ track.  Cutting track is for the plain non-roadbed track, like Atlas and pre-EZ Bachmann track (which frankly was Atlas track restamped for Bachmann).    I'm not touting that EZ track is the best, but it's the greatest track for maintaining its connections, if one track section moves the entire section or length of track will move.  Let's face it, the EZ track roadbed is a bit thick, but if you change your roadbed as often as I have done and planning to do and expect to continue making track layout changes, the EZ track is the easiest to do that with. 
QuoteSome type of roadbed/shims would be needed to bring them up to the same height as EZ-Track.
I agree totally on using shims to adjust that non-roadbed track to meet up with EZ track.  Most of the connections are actually short sections of track.  My longest shimmed connection so far, is approx. 2 inches.  The EZ track does have that short of a connection but to keep the EZ track connector (interlock) from inferring, the span of the splice of track needs to be at least three-quarters of an inch long.  Having to remove that interlock would void the ability to use that section of track elsewhere when my brain tells me, to reconstruct my layout.   

The Fleischmann 3-way track (conversed in another thread) I will be using 4 sections of shimmed non-roadbed track with 3 sections very close together in order for each to meet up with the EZ track.   Once I get that perfected, I'll share an image of the finished product.  And ,as stated earlier, my preference is to modify the pieces to fit my track plan.