News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Desperate 80 Ton 3 Truck Shay Owner

Started by 686 Shooter, April 18, 2023, 09:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

686 Shooter

Hi all. I know it's a long shot but I have to try. I am in deperate need of the rear truck off of an HO Spectrum 80 ton 3 truck Shay. It doesn't matter if the gears are cracked. There was a horrible Catzilla attack on the lestock sub of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Thankfully damage was contained to only my Shay.

If there is anyone that can help me out please let me know. Thanks in advance.

VTBob

About the only place to find parts for these things, if the Bachmann parts store doesn't have them, has been Ebay.  I would shop for a basket case unit then you would have a parts unit for yours.

Rob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

bbmiroku

Try to find any train shows in the area you're willing to drive to. There's always a parts guy, or a couple guys looking to get rid of everything. With a little luck and patience, you should be able to find what you need.  And of course if that fails, you may find something you didn't know you were looking for. ;)

trainman203

Sacrificial donor engines are the order of the day in today's Model Railroading.  The days of American manufacturers carrying every possible spare part forward into infinity are long gone.

You might buy an undamaged engine and keep the present incomplete one for parts.

Real railroads do this.  Union Pacific's famous 844 has been kept running for over 50 years by the presence of sister 838 in the Cheyenne Roundhouse, which has slowly been cannibalized for everything under the sun for the whole time. At this point in time there's not much left of the 838, but I'm pretty certain that eventually the 838's much less worn frame and running gear will be reinstalled under the 844, at which time the 838 will no longer exist.

And throughout the steam era, older engines were often kept in deadlines at the shops for this exact same purpose.

686 Shooter

Quote from: trainman203 on April 28, 2023, 04:23:30 PMSacrificial donor engines are the order of the day in today's Model Railroading.  The days of American manufacturers carrying every possible spare part forward into infinity are long gone.

You might buy an undamaged engine and keep the present incomplete one for parts.

This is exactly what I did. I found one on Ebay for a half decent price and have it coming. Listed in as new condition. The price some guys want for these things is rediculous. I've seen them for up to $600. I paid about a third of that, thank God.

I'll keep the damaged one because who knows, I may stumble accross a truck assembly someday.

trainman203

You can always spot the old one out behind the back shop like it's being repaired.

Ken Clark

PM sent re a replacement truck.

trainman203

Ken Clark

Personal message to 686 Shooter concerning a replacement truck for his SHAY

686 Shooter

Quote from: Ken Clark on April 30, 2023, 06:21:13 PMPersonal message to 686 Shooter concerning a replacement truck for his SHAY

Replied to your PM Ken!

trainman203

Very cool! The power of the Internet!

Ken Clark

Jeff

Replacement rear truck shipped via CP at 10:00, should be with you within the week. Keep an eye on Catzilla to prevent a repeat of the attack  ;D  ;D  ;D . My first Ferret loved to knock over a G scale locomotive then would glare at me to put it right so she could attack it again!!

686 Shooter

Thank you Ken. From both I and Catzilla

686 Shooter

Quote from: Ken Clark on May 01, 2023, 04:18:44 PMJeff

Replacement rear truck shipped via CP at 10:00, should be with you within the week. Keep an eye on Catzilla to prevent a repeat of the attack  ;D  ;D  ;D . My first Ferret loved to knock over a G scale locomotive then would glare at me to put it right so she could attack it again!!

I got the truck. I can't thank you enough Ken.