News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 DCC ready gear

Started by Lynn, May 11, 2023, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynn

I bought a used bachmann 4-4-0 with motor in the engine, and when I recieved it it wouldn't run. got into the engine abd it has a broken gear on the schematics its 00M01. Bachmann doesn't have this gear. does anyone know of a obtainable replacement gear that would work?

trainman203

1.  Broken record:  verily, verily, I say unto thee.  Beware, O beware of the pig in a poke known as the used locomotive.  So many things can be wrong, so very many things.  Many have been to hell and back, their severe internal injuries not apparent

2. You can get parts. You just have to buy an entirely new locomotive that works to have an engine that runs.  The days of continual available parts for model locomotives are long gone along with American manufacture of the models.  Today you buy a new one, then you have the broken one as a parts reservoir, parts, except of course the broken gear.

Fred Klein

Lynn, you might want to check with Northwest Short Line (NWSL). They carry gears for regearing-repairing locomotives. The gears they have are their own products (i.e. not Bachmann-manufactured parts) so you will have to be very specific about the type of gear you need i.e. the number of teeth, diameter of the hole, etc. They may or may not have what you need, however, how to install it will be left up to you. Best of luck.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

rbturner

Lynn, are you able to post a link to the schematic you are looking at? I may be able to help you.
Acts 2:38

Lynn

trainman203

Good luck on finding that specialty gear.  I'm afraid that it will likely be a Quixotic quest.

Do you really want to do all that work to save a $150 plastic model? Avoid the headache and heartache and just get a new one.

Maybe you'll lucky and find another like one on eBay for a bargain price that is defective in some other way, like missing the tender or the pilot truck or something like that.  Engines on eBay are notorious for being called "in good condition" when it's obvious that the engine has hit the floor and broken off the pilot and maybe the pony truck.

If it was me I would just buy a new engine. I myself haven't got that many years left on earth to be doing a job like this.

rbturner

Thank you Lynn, I'll see what I have. It is also possible to repair many of these cracked gears. I have fixed many of them.

Here's a link to a tutorial I did.

https://tycodepot.com/thread/5710/fixing-cracked-gears
Acts 2:38

Ralph S

Here's a thought.   Has anyone looked into 3-D printing of the gear in question.   If it's a plastic gear piece, it may be fairly easy to get a 3-D savvy person to create that gear from a 3-D printer.  If it's a metal gear, metal 3-D printing is still very expensive, therefore, I second the motion to just buy a new one.

Just my two cents....

Lynn

I ordered a new chassis that works great, also now have some  parts if  needed

trainman203