News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO DCC troubles with Spectrum 4-4-0

Started by BoonesFarmed, May 29, 2023, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoonesFarmed

I'm very new to DCC and have a Bachmann EZ Command Control Center transformer.  I put an HO Spectrum 4-4-0 DCC (no sound) locomotive on my track and it runs full throttle in forward without moving the throttle knob.  The only way to stop it is to hit the stop button.  It will not run in reverse.  Anyone ever encounter this before and if so, how does one correct it?

jward

DCC decoders have an analog mode that recognizes DC powered track and responds to the track voltage. If the decoder is fooled into thinking it is on DC when the track is in fact DCC, it will respond to the voltage present on the rails, which in DCC is constant. The only way to stop it is to shut off the power to the track.

Analog mode can be disabled by rewriting a different value to CV29, but this requires a DCC system capable of programming. I'd suggest you take the locomotive to a model railroad club or hobby shop and see if they can do this for you. EZ Command does not have this capability.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BoonesFarmed

Thanks for the reply.  I tested the same track with a different DCC locomotive and there were no issues which leads me to believe that your diagnosis is correct.  Two follow up questions:

Since the locomotive only does this in forward and will not move when put in reverse, would manually flipping the locomotive to face the other direction result in the same symptoms but run in reverse?  Only asking before I unbox the locomotive again. 

Lastly, as I learn more about DCC and the features, namely CV29, would I be better off getting a different DCC system and if so, what does everyone recommend?  I'm looking for something simple to use. 

Thanks. 

jward

You are correct in your assumption that the locomotive would run the opposite way if you turned it around.

As for other DCC systems, I can't give my recommendations on the board here. But I will say that there are a couple of very good entry level systems that cost within $50 more than the EZ Command. I am using one of those, and have been since 2004. It's served me well and did everything I needed it to do for almost 20 years.

Terry on this board also suggested a workaround if you want to keep your EZ COmmand that probably costs less than buying a whole new system. He uses a stand alone programmer that can only rewrite the CVs. It can't run the trains. But it would do what you need to do here, and alot more that you might want to do later.  (speed matching with another locomotive, adjustments of top speed, acceleration, deceleration, etc)
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.