News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new to HO

Started by airega1, May 26, 2023, 10:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airega1

Hello, I'm new to HO and I'm setting up this simple layout , an oval with 2 turnoffs to the infield, how can I park 2 sets to the infield while running a 3rd set continuous and then switch to a different train, and can this be done using one transformer, I will need help showing the wire or equipment needed.

trainman203

That sort of multiple independent train operation ideally would use a more sophisticated control system than you expected, called DCC.  However, this requires the locomotives to have decoders installed, which yours almost certainly do not.  If they did, you could use a Bachmann power supply called EZ Command to give complete independent control to each set, which we call a train.

Or you can revert to the Jurassic and use what used to be the gold standard of model railroading called block control or sometimes cab control.  This would run your trains on DC current, supplied by a standard model railroad power pack,

https://www.hobbylinc.com/atlas-complete-atlas-wiring-guide-model-railroad-book-12

I'm afraid this is going to be a little more complicated than you expected. I don't believe that a quick paragraph and simple drawing attached can give you what you need to know to accomplish your goal.

Terry Toenges

I agree with Trainman. You should read up on DCC and block control and decide which way you want to go. There is plenty of info out there if you Google those items.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

If you're starting with a DC powered set containing 18" radius curves you could do something like this:

The switches are #4's with 1/2 sections of 18" radius curves to bring the diverging legs parallel again. Create 'blocks' by creating gaps in the rails where the red lines are. I got tired of destroying track trying to get the rail joiners off, so now I just use a cutoff disk in a Dremel tool to cut off the part that extends beyond the rail and put a bit of styrene between the rail ends to keep them from touching. File to match the rail profile.

Feed power to each block section. As noted above, the Atlas electrical controls make wiring fairly straight forward. If you add a second power supply, you could actually have two trains operating at the same time and use the inner tracks as passing siding. Or you could do your original plan and have one train running and two parked.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

On a plan like that, using DC, use the Atlas selector switches and follow their instructions.

That's the simple solution.  But those of us, that know from experience, we will all tell you that DCC is the way to achieve realistic prototypical multi train operation, if that's what you really want.